About the Project
The masters by research is inherently collaborative and interdisciplinary. Given the nature of the research question, empirical work will involve working in collaboration with public and private sector organisations across the country. The span of the research will blend branding, retailing, public policy and administration, with tourism and entrepreneurship and the private sector. This is a collaborative research partnership between ITSligo and Letterkenny Institute of Technology.
Aims of the research:
• To identify what are the key issues within destination branding.
• To synthesise the various structures required for collaborative destination brands.
• To articulate the relationship of what might work best to build Sligo as a regional destination brand.
The methodological choice is embedded in the nature of the research study.
The completion of this study can add to academic discourse primarily in branding. The area of regional destination branding is an emergent area of enquiry and this research should help build that knowledge. The research outcome should also assist knowledge in branding, regional development, tourism, economy and public policy.
Currently the Irish Government is planning the next National Development Plan; this study should have an impact in response to the need for balanced regional development. Hence, it is both timely and relevant that such a study on a regional destination brand is completed.
This research will enrich the theoretical basis of regional destination branding. The streams of research that represent the study area are a blend of retail, tourism, economic, society, public policy and branding. Given this context, the potential impact has potential to add to knowledge collectively but also within each of these areas. It will assist knowledge in branding, regional development, tourism, economy and public policy within the region. Tourism is strategically, economically and culturally important to Sligo. Retail and service development has potential to build the Northwest brand portfolio.
Bursary Applicant Specification
• Applicants require an honours level degree in Business (NFQ level 8) with a minimum of 2.2 (applicants must have two marketing modules at level 8).
• Knowledge of academic research practice.
• Knowledge of branding literature.
• Excellent oral and written communication skills.
• Excellent interpersonal skills.
• Strong work ethic with track record in successful project management.
• Minimum English language proficiency requirement of a minimum of IELTS 6.5 with not less than 6 in a strand in the academic version or equivalent.
• Prior completion of an undergraduate and /or a post graduate dissertation.
• Relevant work experience in the area of branding/ regional development.
• Demonstrate strong research skills and competencies.
• Ability to work effective as part of a team and liaise with various stakeholders.
• Knowledge of the role of research in the attainment of Technological University status.
FUNDING SOURCE: CUA Bursary 2020 with a maintenance grant of €13,000 p.a. and up to €4,000 p.a. for expenses as approved. Tuition fees (currently €819 p.a.) will be paid by the Institute for all holders of student bursaries. Students are required to pay their registration fee. The registration fee for 2018-2019 is €3,000 p.a.
DURATION: Funding will be initially for a maximum of 2 years full time Master’s registration. This research has potential to transition into a PhD up to a maximum of 4 years.
Please send by email to Suzanne Ryan, ([email protected]) and CC Veronica Cawley [email protected]
1) A detailed cover letter
2) A full curriculum vitae
3) Academic transcripts for each year of study
4) Contact details of two academic referees
Applicants whose first language is not English must submit the original certificate of completion of an English test.
Please insert the subject line ‘IT Sligo CUA Bursary 2020’ with your electronic correspondence.
Closing Date for Applications: 17:00 local time, 21st of September 2020
Why not add a message here
Based on your current searches we recommend the following search filters.
Based on your current search criteria we thought you might be interested in these.