This PhD project is in a Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences competition for funded studentships. These studentships are funded for 3 years and comprise of Home/EU fees, a stipend of £15,009 and £1000 per annum to support research training.Overseas applicants may apply but are required to fund the difference between home/EU and overseas tuition fees (in 2020-21 the international fee is £19,100 for lab based projects and £15,700 for non-lab based projects but fees are subject to an annual increase).
1. Hews CL, Tran SL, Wegmann U, Brett B, Walsham AD, Kavanaugh D, Ward NJ, Juge N, and Schüller S (2017) The StcE metalloprotease of enterohaemorrhagic Escherichia coli reduces the inner mucus layer and promotes adherence to human colonic epithelium ex vivo. Cell Microbiol 19: e12717.
2. Ellis SJ, Yasir M, Browning DF, Busby SJW, Schüller S (2019) Oxygen and contact with human intestinal epithelium independently stimulate virulence gene expression in enteroaggregative Escherichia coli. Cell Microbiol 23: e13012.
3. Rai S, Arasteh J, Jefferson M, Pearson T, Wang Y, Zhang W, Bicsak B, Divekar D, Powell P, Naumann R, Beraza N, Carding S, Florey O, Mayer U, Wileman T (2019) The ATG5-binding and coiled coil domains of ATG16L1 maintain autophagy and tissue homeostasis in mice independently of the WD domain required for LC3 associated phagocytosis. Autophagy 15: 599-612.
4. Fletcher K, Ulferts R, Jacquin E, Veith T, Gammoh N, Arasteh JM, Mayer U, Carding S, Wileman T, Beale R, Florey O (2018) The WD40 domain of ATG16L1 is required for its non‐canonical role in lipidation of LC3 at single membranes. EMBO J 37: e97840.
5. Khalili H, Håkansson N, Chan SS, Chen Y, Lochhead P, Ludvigsson JF, Chan AT, Hart AR, Olén O, Wolk A (2020) Adherence to a Mediterranean diet is associated with a lower risk of later-onset Crohn's disease: results from two large prospective cohort studies. Gut, pii: gutjnl-2019-319505. doi: 10.1136/gutjnl-2019-319505.