The candidate should have a first class or upper second class honours degree, or a master’s degree (or equivalent qualification), in engineering. Evidence of good spoken and written English is essential. The candidate should have an IELTS score of 6.5 or above, if the first language is not English. This position is open to all qualified candidates irrespective of nationality.
The student will be awarded a PhD degree from the University of Liverpool (UK) upon successful completion of the program.
Scaffold-based 3D cell culture systems have gained great interest as a replacement of 2D monolayer cell culture and as a way to provide biomimetic extracellular matrix (ECM) environments. The great hurdle of applying fibrous scaffolds in these systems come from the limited knowledge on structure design and fabrication. It is very necessary to explore machine learning (ML) applications in this area to enhance scaffold-based cell culture performance.
This project aims to explore ML to intelligently optimize biomimetic scaffold design and fabrication on the basis of layer-based fiber structure, which can better mimic ECM and support cell growth and functionalization. The outcomes of the project can be applied to customize scaffolds for tumoroid or organoid studies in anti-cancer drug screening and personalized drug treatment.
For more information about doctoral scholarship and PhD programme at Xi’an Jiaotong Liverpool University (XJTLU), please visit
How to Apply:
Interested applicants are advised to email [Email Address Removed] (XJTLU principal supervisor’s email address) the following documents for initial review and assessment (please put the project title in the subject line).
- Two formal reference letters
- Personal statement outlining your interest in the position
- Certificates of English language qualifications (IELTS or equivalent)
- Full academic transcripts in both Chinese and English (for international students, only the English version is required)
- Verified certificates of education qualifications in both Chinese and English (for international students, only the English version is required)
- PDF copy of Master Degree dissertation (or an equivalent writing sample) and examiners reports available