About the Project
The candidate should have a first class or upper second class honours degree, or a master’s degree (or equivalent qualification), in Chemistry Evidence of good spoken and written English is essential. The candidate should have an IELTS score of 6.5 or above, if the first language is not English. This position is open to all qualified candidates irrespective of nationality.
The student will be awarded a PhD degree from the University of Liverpool (UK) upon successful completion of the program.
Conjugated organic molecules have been widely used in organic electronics, including OLED, OFET, OPV, and OPD. The current project will synthesize 4,4'-spirobi[cyclopenta[2,1-b;3,4-bꞌ]dithiophene] (SCPDT)-cored molecules with two orthogonal π-conjugation chains. Owing to the increased charge transport dimensionality of the molecule, these compounds are supposed to be good isotropic charge transporting materials. By varying the π-conjugated arms, p-type (electron donor), n-type (electron acceptor), or even ambipolar molecules will be synthesized. Use of these compounds in OPV will be tested. A combined experimental and theoretical analysis will provide a general structure-property-performance relationship of these molecules, which can serve as a guideline for further molecule design for organic electronics. This project will train student in organic synthesis, material characterization, molecular modelling, as well as organic electronic devices fabrication and testing.
For more information about doctoral scholarship and PhD programme at Xi’an Jiaotong-Liverpool University (XJTLU): Please visit
How to Apply
Interested applicants are advised to email [Email Address Removed] (XJTLU principal supervisor’s email address) the following documents for initial review and assessment (please put the project title in the subject line).
• Two reference letters with company/university letterhead
• Personal statement outlining your interest in the position
• Proof of English language proficiency (an IELTS score of 6.5 or above)
• Verified school transcripts in both Chinese and English (for international students, only the English version is required)
• Verified certificates of education qualifications in both Chinese and English (for international students, only the English version is required)
• PDF copy of Master Degree dissertation (or an equivalent writing sample) and examiners reports available
Informal enquiries may be addressed to Professor/Dr. Yi Lin (yi.lin @xjtlu.edu.cn), whose personal profile is linked below,
Based on your current searches we recommend the following search filters.
Based on your current search criteria we thought you might be interested in these.