The trade-off between the IoT device's ability to perform its tasks and the required built-in security protection will be an important challenge, especially when considering the power and/or computing constraints. This project aims to pursue device-aware security and privacy protection mechanisms that adapt to each device's capabilities while ensuring a minimum protection level. For example, selective encryption techniques reduce computation overhead by encrypting only the sensitive parts of the data, and adaptive machine learning classifiers reconfigure protection level depending on the device's capabilities.
Candidates should have (or expect to achieve) a UK honours degree at 2.1 or above (or equivalent) in Computer Science, Cyber Security, Mathematics or related fields. A relevant Master’s degree and/or experience in one of the above will be an advantage.
We are looking for a PhD student, who has a background in machine learning techniques and Cryptography. Knowledge of Security and Privacy would also be an advantage.
Formal applications can be completed online: https://www.abdn.ac.uk/pgap/login.php
• Apply for Degree of Doctor of Philosophy in Computing Science
• State name of the lead supervisor as the Name of Proposed Supervisor
• State ‘Self-funded’ as Intended Source of Funding
• State the exact project title on the application form
When applying please ensure all required documents are attached:
• All degree certificates and transcripts (Undergraduate AND Postgraduate MSc-officially translated into English where necessary)
• Detailed CV, Personal Statement and Intended source of funding
Informal inquiries can be made to Dr P K Sharma ([Email Address Removed]), with a copy of your curriculum vitae and cover letter. All general enquiries should be directed to the Postgraduate Research School ([Email Address Removed])