About the Project
Ammonia is a cost effective, commercially available with zero-carbon emission fuel and an energy vector which unlike hydrogen, all the infrastructure for its storage and distribution exist.
To date, the most effective catalyst for ammonia electro-oxidation (AEO) has been platinum which its cost and scarcity limits the commercialization of DAFCs.
The aim of this projectis on developing catalysts with low Pt loading. Recently, for the first time, our group has synthesised a high surface area with low-load of Pt composite which outperformed high surface area Pt/C catalyst for AEO.
The focus of the project will be on explore and synthesis of this novel class of transition metal carbide and nitride with noble metal composite based on the reported DFT calculations, for their application in AFC. The efficiency and specific energy density (energy per unit mass) of these fuel cells will be further increased by employing graphene aerogel material.
The work packages will includemainly hydrothermal synthesis of composite catalysts and graphene aerogel, DAFCs simulations, material characterisation, and testing DAFC.
Key technologies used in research work packages are:• Composite catalyst and graphene aerogel synthesis (Hydrothermal and etc.)
• Materials characterisation: Electrochemical testing (CV, LSV, Chronoamperometry), SEM, TEM, XPS, Profilometer, Ellipsometry
• DAFC Simulation: FEA (ABAQUS, ANSYS, COMSOL)
• Testing DAFCs
The principal supervisor for this project is Dr. Maryam Bayati.
Eligibility and How to Apply:Please note eligibility requirement:
• Academic excellence of the proposed student i.e. 2:1 (or equivalent GPA from non-UK universities [preference for 1st class honours]); or a Masters (preference for Merit or above); or APEL evidence of substantial practitioner achievement.
• Appropriate IELTS score, if required.
• Applicants cannot apply for this funding if currently engaged in Doctoral study at Northumbria or elsewhere.
For further details of how to apply, entry requirements and the application form, see
Please note: Applications that do not include a research proposal of approximately 1,000 words (not a copy of the advert), or that do not include the advert reference (e.g. RDF21/EE/MCE/BAYATIMaryam) will not be considered.
Deadline for applications: 29 January 2021
Start Date: 1 October 2021
Northumbria University takes pride in, and values, the quality and diversity of our staff. We welcome applications from all members of the community.
2. Liu, X.; Xi, J.; Fang, B.; Xu , B. B.; Wang, Y.; Bayati, M.; Scott, K.; Gao C.; “A High‐Performance Direct Methanol Fuel Cell Technology Enabled by Mediating High‐Concentration Methanol through a Graphene Aerogel ” Small Methods, 2018, DOI: 10.1002/smtd.201800138.
Why not add a message here
Based on your current searches we recommend the following search filters.
Based on your current search criteria we thought you might be interested in these.