Discovery and development of carbohydrate active enzymes (CAZymes) for degradation of plant pathogenic biofilms.
Xylella fastidiosa and Erwinia amylovora are two agriculturally important quarantine plant pathogens that are capable of destroying anumber of diverse crops.
Biofilm formation is crucial for pathogenesis
This project aims to identify and biochemically characterise enzymes able to degrade biofilms produced by Xylella fastidiosa and Erwinia amylovora.
Plant pathogens, such as Erwinia amylovora and Xylella fastidiosa, induce vascular wilt through the colonisation of the xylem and production of exopolysaccharide based biofilms that block the flow of water in the plant. This project aims to investigate the ability of specific CAZymes to degrade plant pathogenic biofilm and so decrease the ability of the pathogens to cause disease.
Full Project Description https://www.ncl.ac.uk/media/wwwnclacuk/iafri/files/2019phd/2019%20Project%202.pdf
How to Apply
You must apply through the University’s online postgraduate application form. Only mandatory fields need to be completed. However, you will need to include the following information:
• insert the programme code 8020F in the programme of study section
• select ‘PhD in Biology (FT)’ as the programme of study
• insert the studentship code IAFRI-012 in the studentship/partnership reference field
• attach a covering letter and CV. The covering letter must state the title of the project, quote reference code IAFRI-02 and state how your interests and experience relate to the project
• attach degree transcripts and certificates and, if English is not your first language, a copy of your English language qualifications
You should also send a covering letter and CV to Mr Steven Hall (e-mail to [email protected]
The online application system will only allow one application for an IAFRI studentship. If you are applying for TWO projects then you will need to e-mail Postgraduate Admissions [email protected]
and Steven Hall [email protected]
with the following information:
your applicant number (from the first project application)
the second project title
a two page covering letter for the second project
Please also include 'IAFRI-02' in the email header