About the Project
As part of this project you will gain skills in microbiology, natural product chemistry and biological testing. You will work in a committed group of scientists interested in investigating natural resources for their potential to treat disease. The group is located in the Marine Biodiscovery Centre which houses state-of-the-art facilities and scientists with skills in microbiology, molecular biology, chemical analysis and natural product chemistry.
Candidates should have (or expect to achieve) a UK honours degree at 2.1 or above (or equivalent) in Chemistry, biochemistry or pharmacy with knowledge of Organic Chemistry and Nuclear magnetic resonance spectroscopy and mass spectrometry.
• Apply for Degree of Doctor of Philosophy in Chemistry
• State name of the lead supervisor as the Name of Proposed Supervisor
• State ‘Self-funded’ as Intended Source of Funding
• State the exact project title on the application form
When applying please ensure all required documents are attached:
• All degree certificates and transcripts (Undergraduate AND Postgraduate MSc-officially translated into English where necessary)
• Detailed CV
Informal inquiries can be made to Professor M Jaspars ([Email Address Removed]) with a copy of your curriculum vitae and cover letter. All general enquiries should be directed to the Postgraduate Research School ([Email Address Removed])
2. “Asenjonamides A-C, antibacterial metabolites isolated from Streptomyces asenjonii strain KNN 42.f from an extreme-hyper arid Atacama Desert soil”, Abdelkader, MSA; Philippon, T; Asenjo, JA; Bull, AT; Goodfellow, M; Ebel, R; Jaspars, M; Rateb, ME, Journal of Antibiotics 2018, 71, 425-431
3. “Zebrafish-Based Discovery of Antiseizure Compounds from the Red Sea: Pseurotin A2 and Azaspirofuran A”, Copmans, D; Rateb, M; Tabudravu, JN; Perez-Bonilla, M; Dirkx, N; Vallorani, R; Diaz, C; del Palacio, JP; Smith, AJ; Ebel, R; Reyes, F; Jaspars, M; de Witte, PAM, ACS Chemical Neuroscience 2018, 9, 1652-1662
4. “Antimicrobial Activity of Monoramnholipids Produced by Bacterial Strains Isolated from the Ross Sea (Antarctica)”, Pietro Tedesco, Isabel Maida, Fortunato Palma Esposito, Emiliana Tortorella, Karolina Subko, Chidinma Christiana Ezeofor, Ying Zhang, Jioji Tabudravu, Marcel Jaspars, Renato Fani and Donatella de Pascale, Marine Drugs, 2016, 14, 83
5. “Chaxapeptin, a Lasso Peptide from Extremotolerant Streptomyces leeuwenhoekii Strain C58 from the Hyperarid Atacama Desert” Somayah S. Elsayed, Franziska Trusch, Hai Deng, Andrea Raab, Ivan Prokes, Kanungnid Busarakam, Juan A. Asenjo, Barbara A. Andrews, Pieter van West, Alan T. Bull, Michael Goodfellow, Yu Yi, Rainer Ebel, Marcel Jaspars, and Mostafa E. Rateb, J. Org. Chem. 2015, 80, 10252
6. “Legonaridin, a New Member of Linaridin RiPP From a Ghanaian Streptomyces Isolate” Mostafa E. Rateb, Yin Zhai, Emmanuelle Ehrner, Christopher M. Rath, Xiaoling Wang, Jioji Tabudravu, Rainer Ebel, Mervyn Bibb, Kwaku Kyeremeh, Pieter C. Dorrestein, Kui Hong, Marcel Jaspars and Hai Deng, Org. Biomol. Chem. 2015, 13, 9585
Based on your current searches we recommend the following search filters.
Based on your current search criteria we thought you might be interested in these.