VACANCY No. 19-91-8
The Physikalisch-Technische Bundesanstalt (PTB) is the National Metrology Institute of the Federal Republic of Germany with scientific and technical service tasks. It furthers progress and reliability in metrology for society, the economy and science.
In Department 8.3 “Biomedical Optics” of Division 8, we are looking for a doctoral candidate specializing in physics or a comparable subject
to join us as soon as possible.
This position is available on the basis of a 3-year fixed-term contract. The remuneration will be paid in accordance with remuneration group 13 TVöD Bund (85 %). You will be employed at our Berlin site.
PTB's Department 8.3 “Biomedical Optics” develops, among other things, flow-cytometric and microscopic reference measurement procedures for counting and characterizing cells in blood and other body fluids as well as particles in suspensions. The procedures are used, for instance, to determine reference measurement values in round robin tests for external quality assurance in laboratory medicine.
• Developing and testing measurement procedures for optical imaging of individual cells in a high-throughput flow cytometer
• Developing evaluation procedures to determine the volume and the shape of the cells and to detect agglomerates and coincidences
• Using the information provided by the image in order to determine the concentration of cells in the flow with more accuracy
• Using multiplex antibody assays in imaging flow cytometry to detect, classify and determine the concentration of, in particular, rare cells by means of fluorescence measurements
• You have completed university studies (Master's or German Diplom) of physics or of a comparable subject with an excellent grade
• Preferably, the topic of your thesis was related to optical measurement methods, in particular optical imaging procedures or spectroscopy
• You have excellent programming skills
• You are able to perform target-oriented scientific work and to comply with deadlines
• You have excellent communication skills and are a team player
• You have an excellent command of spoken and written English
• You are willing to travel within Germany and abroad within the scope of your assignment
For further information, please contact:
Prof. Dr. R. Macdonald, phone: +49 30 3481-7542, e-mail: [email protected]
Dr. D. Grosenick, phone: +49 30 3481-7302, e-mail: [email protected]
Dr. M. Hussels, phone: +49 30 3481-7628, e-mail: [email protected]
Learn more about our department: https://www.ptb.de/cms/en/ptb/fachabteilungen/abt8/fb-83.html
PTB promotes the professional equality of women and men and is thus especially interested in applications from women.
Within the scope of the official feasibilities, PTB offers flexible part-time work schemes in order to support in particular the compatibility of work and family life.
Disabled persons will be given priority if they have the same occupational aptitude.
Are you interested? Then we are looking forward to hearing from you. Then please submit your application using our online application form https://www.ptb.de/cms/en/about-uscareers/careers/bms-stellen.html
or send your application to the following postal address:
- Institut Berlin -
Reference number 19-91-8
Unfortunately, we cannot accept applications sent via e-mail.
The closing date for applications is 26 January 2020.