The "Helmholtz-Institute Erlangen-Nürnberg for Renewable Energies" (HI ERN) is as IEK-11 part of Forschungszentrum Jülich and works in close collaboration with the Friedrich-Alexander-Universität Erlangen-Nürnberg (FAU) and the Helmholtz-Zentrum Berlin (HZB). The research in HI ERN is focused on the areas of innovative materials and processes for hydrogen technologies, photovoltaic energy and solar fuels, therefore covering novel approaches for the conversion and storage of CO2-neutral energy. More information about HI-ERN can be found at http://www.hi-ern.de
The successful candidate will be part of the electrocatalytical interface engineering department of the HI ERN led by Prof. Dr.-Ing. Simon Thiele. The department focuses on manufacturing, analysis and simulation of functional materials to find an optimum structure on small scales from the micrometer to the nanometer scale. The investigated materials and systems play an essential role in sustainable technologies like water- and CO2-electrolyzers, as well as in fuel cells. Furthermore their presence in nonaqueous electrochemical systems like electroorganic synthesis or batteries are decisive. We utilize internationally unique material and process characterization methods which are based on the sophisticated coupling of nano- and microtomographic techniques, additive manufacturing and advanced analysis methods. Thereby the aim is to significantly contribute to the development of electrochemical energy conversion as a future key player for electromobility and the energy policy in general.
• physical, spectroscopic, and electrochemical characterization of composite membranes as well as of complete membrane electrode assemblies which are based on composite membranes
• study of and by process optimization mitigation of degradation effects in membrane electrode assemblies of fuel cells
• excellent university degree in Chemistry, Physics, Chemical Engineering, Material Science or a relevant discipline
• strong interest in pursuing research on electrochemical systems
• previous experience in electrochemistry and one (or more) of the following is desirable: fuel cells, electrolysers, electrochemistry, electrocatalysis, polymer chemistry, colloidal chemistry, CAD design, chemical engineering, process engineering
• good mechanical skills, interest in building up new devices / work stations
• high motivation for pursuing a PhD within 3 years
• excellent organizational skills
• ability to show initiative and work independently
• excellent cooperation and communication skills and ability to work as part of a team
• excellent skills in spoken and written English
• a lively scientific environment within the institute and possibilities for cooperation with excellent partners at the Friedrich-Alexander-Universität Erlangen-Nürnberg, the Forschungszentrum Jülich, the Helmholtz-Zentrum Berlin and abroad
• an excellent environment to perform sound, high-quality research at the international level
• daily, hands-on experience in worldwide-unique electrochemical characterization techniques
• excellent training in electrochemistry
• possibility to participate on project meetings, as well as on national and international conferences to present the results and to develop further competences
• interaction and cooperation with world-leading industrial partners
• strong support and mentoring for setting up a future career in science and/or the industry
• a comprehensive further training programme
• flexible working hours and various opportunities to reconcile work and private life
• a part-time job with 29,25 hours per week
• limited for 3 years
• salary and social benefits in conformity with the provisions of the Collective Agreement for the Civil Service (TVöD)
Place of employment: Erlangen-Nürnberg
Forschungszentrum Jülich promotes equal opportunities and diversity in its employment relations.
We also welcome applications from disabled persons.
We look forward to receiving your application until 15.03.2020 via our Online-Recruitment-System! https://www.hrecruiting.de/obf2/index.php?kunden_nr=t5ChjatkIfdwmACO&link_id=kLBwyKTInDmUvJE1&lang=en&obf_strukt_id=NBJo7upVK2CL3wkSiJ
Questions about the vacancy?
Contact us by mentioning the reference number 2020-018: [email protected]
Please note that for technical reasons we cannot accept applications via email. http://www.fz-juelich.de