The Philipps University, founded in 1527, offers multiple award-winning teaching for around 22,000 students and tackles the important issues of our time with excellent research across a broad spectrum of science.
The Microcosm Earth Center, research group on Biogeochemistry, Dr. Judith Klatt, is currently accepting applications for a Doctoral Researcher.
The position ot h be filled subject ot he approval of funds and offered for a period of 3 years. The starting date is as soon as possible. The position ot he-time (65 % of regular working hours) with salary and benefits commensurate with a public service position in the state Hesse, Germany (TV-H E 13).
The project focusses on geomicrobiology and targets the question: How did microorganisms transform Earth ot he oxygen-rich planet that we live on? Questions around Earth’s oxygenation pattern in the Precambrian, a time when life was solely microbial, will be targeted by simulating ancient conditions in the lab. This will allow to constrain the impact of diverse metabolisms on geochemical parameters and vice versa, with focus on different types of photosynthesis. We will also perform extensive field work and study microbial processes in natural, extreme ecosystems. The project will be highly interdisciplinary and bridge a wide range of scales: from molecular mechanisms toward their impact on Earth over geological timescales.
· carrying out the described project as a member of the Biogeochemistry team
· scientific services in research and teaching
· research expeditions and/or cruises
· active participation in national and international conferences
The position is limited to a time period deemed adequate for the completion of a doctoral degree. As part of the assigned duties, there will be ample opportunity to conduct the independent scientific research necessary for the completion of a doctorate. The limitation complies to § 2, 1 WissZeitVG.
· MSc-degree or equivalent in chemistry, biology or the Earth sciences / geology, or a related (e.g., computational) area
· very good English skills
· preferably background in biogeochemistry, environmental microbiology or modelling and interest in technology
· above average academic qualification
· eagerness to work in a rapidly evolving interdisciplinary team
Disposition to own scientific qualification (e.g. a doctorate project in the area geomicrobiology / biogeochemistry) is expected.
We offer you:
· highly topical research at the intersection of geochemistry, molecular biology, microbial ecology & physiology, and Earth-scale modelling
· a diverse, fair, and stimulating work environment in a dynamic team at the newly founded Microcosm Earth Center, emergent from the collaboration of the University of Marburg and the Max Planck Institute for Terrestrial Microbiology
· many opportunities to be creative and innovative, and to work across a variety of disciplines within a large network of collaborators
· wide-ranging training opportunities
· research location on an inspiring campus with access to diverse facilities for state-of-the art analyses
We actively support the professional development of junior researchers, e.g. by the offers of Marburg Research Academy (MARA), the International Office, the Higher Education Didactics Office and the Human Resources Development Office.
Contact for further information
Dr. Judith Klatt
phone: +49 6421-28 26905
email: [Email Address Removed]
We support women and strongly encourage them to apply. In areas where women are underrepresented, female applicants will be preferred in case of equal qualifications. As a certified family-friendly university, we support our employees in balancing family and career. A reduction of working time is possible. Applicants with a disability as described in SGB IX (§ 2 Abs. 2, 3) will be preferred in case of equal qualifications. Application and interview costs cannot be refunded.
Please send your application (motivation letter, curriculum vitae, publication list, proposal of two potential reviewers) mentioning the registration number ZE-0130-mikrokos-wmz-2022 as a single PDF file to [Email Address Removed] before Dec. 11th, 2022.