About the Project
The PhD studentship will involve conducting original research on the life, works and contexts of Ann Radcliffe, including but not limited to The Romance of the Forest (1791). The products of the research will be an original dissertation, suitable for subsequent book publication, plus contributions (with acknowledgement) to a new published edition of The Romance of the Forest.
The candidate should have a first class or upper second class honours degree, and a master’s degree (or equivalent qualification), in English Literature. It is desirable (but not essential) for candidates to have existing knowledge of the literature and culture of the Romantic period in general, and of Gothic fiction and Radcliffe’s life and works in particular. Knowledge and interest in the theory and practice of scholarly editing are also desirable. Candidates without this (or an equivalent) background should explain clearly in their personal statement how they will be able to adapt to participate in this project. Evidence of good spoken and written English is essential. If the candidate’s first language is not English, she or he must be able to demonstrate that they have qualified at an English-medium University, and/or be able to demonstrate English language proficiency to the equivalent IELTS score of 7.0 or above. This position is open to all qualified candidates irrespective of nationality.
For more information about doctoral scholarships and the PhD programme at Xi’an Jiaotong-Liverpool University (XJTLU), please visit:
How to Apply:
Interested applicants are advised to email [Email Address Removed] with the following documents for initial review and assessment (please put the project title in the subject line).
• Two reference letters with company/university letterhead (alternatively, you may ask your referees to forward these letters independently, using your name and the project title in the subject line)
• Personal statement outlining your interest in and qualifications for the position
• Proof of English language proficiency (degree certificates from English-medium institutions, and/or documentation showing an IELTS score of above 7.0 or equivalent)
• Verified school transcripts in both Chinese and English (for international students, only the English version is required)
• Verified certificates of education qualifications in both Chinese and English (for international students, only the English version is required)
Informal enquiries may be addressed to Dr. Tom Duggett ([Email Address Removed])
Based on your current searches we recommend the following search filters.
Based on your current search criteria we thought you might be interested in these.