This project will investigate a novel mechanism utilised by viruses to dysregulate a recently identified group of ncRNAs, termed circRNAs. The project will elucidate how and why this emerging ncRNA species are altered by the virus. It will also determine the role of a novel virus-induced nuclear condensate in circRNA biogenesis.
The project is highly novel, it utilises a multidisiplinary approach and cutting-edge methodology including hybridisation-proximity (HyPro) labelling approaches coupled with MS and RNA-seq, RNA-IPs and RNA FISH imaging.
In summary, this project will identify novel ways viruses manipulate the host cell to enhance their replication and provide a better understanding of how ncRNA species can regulate gene expression and how this impacts on human disease. Moreover, it may provide new strategies for therapeutic interventions of important human pathogens.
You should hold a first degree equivalent to at least a UK upper-second class honours degree or a MSc degree in a relevant subject.
Applicants whose first language is not English must provide evidence that their English language is sufficient to meet the specific demands of their study. The Faculty of Biological Sciences minimum requirements in IELTS and TOEFL tests are:
- British Council IELTS - score of 6.0 overall, with no element less than 5.5
- TOEFL iBT - overall score of 87 with the listening and reading element no less than 20, writing element no less than 21 and the speaking element no less than 22.
How to apply:
To apply for this project applicants should complete an online application form and attach the following documentation to support their application.
- a full academic CV
- degree certificate and transcripts of marks
- Evidence that you meet the University's minimum English language requirements (if applicable).
To help us identify that you are applying for this studentship please ensure you provide the following information on your application form;
- Select PhD in Biological Sciences as your programme of study
- When asked for source of funding please make it clear that you are applying for a "White Rose BBSRC DTP Studentship"
- Give the full project title and name the supervisors listed in this advert. You can be considered for up to 3 projects in total.
If you have any further queries regarding this opportunity, please contact [Email Address Removed]