Sheffield Hallam University has an international reputation for research on social enterprise, cooperative and voluntary action, with strong links to research communities such as EMES, International Society for Third-Sector Research (ISTR) and the Association for Research on Nonprofits and Voluntary Action (ARNOVA). Sheffield Hallam’s community of scholars in this field work in and across multiple disciplines including organization theory, strategic management, political science, social policy and economics. To further build on our standing in this field, Sheffield Business School are actively seeking PhD applications from individuals with an interest in studying the interaction between the various actors in this domain. The PhD project involves examining the following themes/ factors:
• Organizational structures and forms
• Social movements
• Social solidarity
The expected output of the project is to develop a research informed typology which maps these interactions and which draws out the implications for future practice in the field.
To apply for a self-funded PhD, you will need to meet our entry requirements and provide:
1. fully completed Sheffield Hallam University application form
2. research proposal (4-6 sides of A4 in length).
3. transcript of marks from your highest qualification (we require a dissertation mark of 60+).
4. copy of your award certificates
5. two references, one ideally from an academic source. References must be supplied as recent letters on headed notepaper or on the reference section on the University’s application form.
6. Where English is not your first language, we require evidence of your English language ability to the following minimum level of proficiency. An IELTS score of 7.0 overall (with all component marks of 6.5 or higher), a TOEFL test with an overall score of 100 internet based (minimum component score of 23 in listening and reading, 26 in writing and 22 in speaking) or SHU TESOL English Language qualification (final overall grade of A with all components graded at B or higher) or a recognised equivalent testing system. Your test score must be within the last two years.
Information on entry requirements, tuition fees and other costs can be found here https://www.shu.ac.uk/courses/business-and-management/phd-sheffield-business-school-management-finance-service-sector/full-time
How to apply
Please submit your application to [email protected]
Applicants wishing to be considered for:
• February 2020 entry: submit your application by 12pm November 22nd 2019
• May 2020 entry: submit your application by 12pm February 22nd 2020
• October 2020 entry: submit your application by 12pm June 22nd 2020