About the Project
Open until the position is filled
The candidate should have a first class or upper second class honours degree, or a master’s degree (or equivalent qualification), in Chemistry Evidence of good spoken and written English is essential. The candidate should have an IELTS score of 6.5 or above, if the first language is not English. This position is open to all qualified candidates irrespective of nationality.
The student will be awarded a PhD degree from the University of Liverpool (UK) upon successful completion of the program.
The prime aspiration of molecular electronics is to fabricate and interconnect molecules that can replace, or at least augment, present silicon-based technology, with the molecules functioning as switches, transistors or even logic gates. Clearly big challenges exist if such technologies are ever to reach fruition. In this respect, one of the key scientific challenges is to achieve stable molecular devices under the operating environment. The electrical properties of molecules depend on their environment. We recently discovered that the conductance of single molecules (a redox active viologen) showed a clear on-off switching in an appropriate ionic liquid. This project proposes to use asymmetric molecular junctions (MJs), by selecting different anchoring groups, electrodes and molecule-electrode interfaces, molecular structures (substitute geometry) to carry out an in-depth experimental and theoretical research on medium effect and charge transport mechanism of MJs.
For more information about doctoral scholarship and PhD programme at Xi’an Jiaotong-Liverpool University (XJTLU): Please visit
How to Apply:
Interested applicants are advised to email…[email protected] (XJTLU principal supervisor’s email address) the following documents for initial review and assessment (please put the project title in the subject line).
• Two reference letters with company/university letterhead
• Personal statement outlining your interest in the position
• Proof of English language proficiency (an IELTS score of 6.5 or above)
• Verified school transcripts in both Chinese and English (for international students, only the English version is required)
• Verified certificates of education qualifications in both Chinese and English (for international students, only the English version is required)
• PDF copy of Master Degree dissertation (or an equivalent writing sample) and examiners reports available.
Why not add a message here
Based on your current searches we recommend the following search filters.
Based on your current search criteria we thought you might be interested in these.