Requirements: The candidate should have a first class or upper second class honours degree, or a master’s degree (or equivalent qualification), in Mathematics or Finance subjects Evidence of good spoken and written English is essential. The candidate should have an IELTS score of 6.5 or above, if the first language is not English. This position is open to all qualified candidates irrespective of nationality.
Degree: The student will be awarded a PhD degree from the University of Liverpool (UK) upon successful completion of the program.
Project Description: This project proposes a systematic approach to build financial early warning systems (EWSs) in major markets of stock, currency and bond. A wide range of artificial intelligence technics are adopted in order to achieve precise and robust predictions of market turmoil. The research significance of this project is threefold: First, the pre-crisis market evolution is studied through the joint model of statistics and machine learning, in order to determine leading factors as well as the triggering mechanism of financial crises. Second, crisis prediction models of equity, bond and currency markets are constructed to give early warning signals of long/short-term turmoils taking into account both reliability and robustness. Third, the risk transmission channels across China's stock, bond and currency markets are investigated to gain further understanding on the risk structure of China's financial system.
For more information about doctoral scholarship and PhD programme at Xi’an Jiaotong-Liverpool University (XJTLU): Please visit
How to Apply:
Interested applicants are advised to email @xjtlu.edu.cn (XJTLU principal supervisor’s email address) the following documents for initial review and assessment (please put the project title in the subject line).
• Two reference letters with company/university letterhead
• Personal statement outlining your interest in the position
• Proof of English language proficiency (an IELTS score of 6.5 or above)
• Verified school transcripts in both Chinese and English (for international students, only the English version is required)
• Verified certificates of education qualifications in both Chinese and English (for international students, only the English version is required)
• PDF copy of Master Degree dissertation (or an equivalent writing sample) and examiners reports available
Informal enquiries may be addressed to Professor/Dr. Conghua Wen ([Email Address Removed]), whose personal profile is linked below,