'TO APPLY, PLEASE CLICK INSTITUTION WEB LINK'
Applications are being welcomed for an PhD studentship in partnership with Industrial sponser Haleon (formerly GSK consumer healthcare). This project aims to leverage bioinformatics and in silico computational methods to understand the microbiological and molecular underpinnings of oral disease. It further aims to make significant progress in filling the gaps in our understanding of determinants (biomarkers) that are indivcicative of health and disease. The biomarkers derived from the oral cavity are pivotal predictors for the diagnosis and prognosis of oral diseases as well as countless systemic diseases such as cardiovascular disease and respiratory conditions.
Through a colloboration of academia, Haleon and software development partners we aim to establish and integrate bespoke bioinformatic and computational tools that will facilitate ML and integrated analysis to ingest and process large data derived from diseased and healthy cohorts to discern risk associated markers and pathways as well as illucidate disease pathologies.
1. The student will develop new skills in bionformatics as well as computational based management of biologically derived data.
2. The student will also undertake developmement of integrated and intuititive analysis pipelines to interogate datasets.
3. Development of User Interfaces optomised for non specialiset interrogation of data.
4. Develop a resistance profile of bacteria in a dental setting (resistome)
5. Validation of pipelines and systems through microbiome and omics data derived throughout the course of the project.
We are looking for a candidate with a background in bioinformatics or computer sciences or biological sciences. The candidate will need to have and honours degree in one of the related subjects above and preferably and MSc (or equivalent).