A fantastic opportunity to study for a 3-year funded doctorate whilst gaining valuable teaching experience.
All advertised projects for this research area can be found here.
Please direct any questions about the project to Dr Allison Moore (moorea@[Email Address Removed]) in advance of submitting your application.
You will have a 2.1 or above undergraduate degree in a relevant subject, whilst a Masters degree would also be an advantage. You should have a passion for pursuing original research in your subject area along with the desire to develop your teaching ability by supporting an experienced and dynamic undergraduate programme team.
Highly motivated, resilient and with the determination to succeed, you will be committed to undertaking a PhD and will possess strong written and oral communication skills along with excellent organisational skills.
About the Graduate Teaching Assistant Role
Graduate Teaching Assistants hold a unique position in the University, being both registered postgraduate researchers (PGRs) and carrying out teaching/teaching support duties.
PGRs will be expected to:
- Complete a programme of researcher development sessions.
- Undertake tailored continuing researcher development.
- Complete a programme of training in teaching in Higher Education.
- Complete a PhD programme of research under the guidance of an appointed supervisory team.
- Undertake up to six hours teaching a week as directed by the Head of Department.
- Undertake up to nine hours per week of marking and preparation.
- Enhance the research culture of the department in which they are located, and of the University as a whole, by participating in development activities including publication and presenting at conferences.
We want you to feel happy when you come to work and proud when you go home. From the moment you join us you have the opportunity to enhance your skills. In addition to having the opportunity to enrol on our Postgraduate Certificate in Teaching in Higher Education (PGCTHE) to support your professional development, we offer a range of specialist development sessions and courses. In addition to the wide range of development opportunities available, the University has a strong focus on the wellbeing of its staff. You will have access to an award-winning staff health & wellbeing programme, benefit from discounted membership to our state of the art sport and leisure facilities and so much more. This is just a taste of what we are able to offer you at Edge Hill University.
Each GTA studentship includes a ‘package’ with a total value in excess of £20,000 for UK applicants and £30,000 for International applicants per annum. This includes:
- A stipend of £9,645 per annum
- £5,500 per annum to contribute to the cost of accommodation.
- Full waiver of research degree tuition fees worth approximately £4,700 per annum for UK PGRs and £14,000 per annum for international PGRs
- Full waiver of the Postgraduate Certificate in Teaching in Higher Education tuition fee (worth approximately £1740)
About Edge Hill University
“A great success story… an institution that improves and impresses year after year” – Times Higher Education.
We are recognised for our outstanding achievements in student satisfaction, staff engagement, graduate employment and innovation as well as our strengthening research profile, investment and growth. The Times Higher ‘University of the Year’ award also celebrated our distinct role in “transforming lives” – reflecting a distinctive philosophy of creating opportunity from excellence.
Edge Hill University was named Modern University of the Year in the Times and Sunday Times Good University Guide 2022 and shortlisted for the overall UK University of the Year award. Edge Hill has also recently been awarded University of the Year in the Educate North Awards (2021) in recognition of our continued commitment to deliver an exceptional student experience and the exceptional progress we have made to deliver investment and innovation over the past 12 months, while placing students at the heart of everything we do.
The University has been ranked Best University Workplace (Times Higher Education 2015), judged Best UK Employer (European Business Awards 2016) and highly commended in Times Higher Education Leadership and Management Awards 2017 for Workplace of the Year.
Based on an award-winning campus in West Lancashire, Edge Hill University offers a stimulating and empowering environment for ambitious and high performing professionals
How to apply
Applicants must complete the online application form via www.edgehill.ac.uk/jobs and attach 5 separate documents in the following order:
- A ‘Research Proposal’ which should not exceed 2,000 words
- A full academic curriculum vitae
- Qualification certificates and a scanned copy of your passport
- A completed budget sheet (see application guidance for further support)
- IELTs, or equivalent, paperwork – click here for further information (international and EU applications only). It is very important applicants seek clarification regarding this paperwork before applying if you have any questions.
Applications without the above paperwork will not be considered for shortlisting.
Interviews are expected to be held in December 2022. The exact date will be confirmed in due course. Panel availability is limited. Shortlisted candidates will be offered one interview slot only.
Project Information is available alongside the job description below.
At Edge Hill University we value the benefits a rich and diverse workforce brings to our community and therefore welcome applications from all sections of society.
Further details: Job Description & Person Specification