This is a 3 year fully-funded PetPlan studentship open to Home/EU applicants. International students are welcome to apply but must be able to fund the difference between UK/EU and international tuition fees. The studentship will commence in October 2019 but could be earlier if a suitable candidate is available. If you are interested in applying for this position, please follow the link below. Please use your personal statement to demonstrate any previous skills or experience you have in laboratory research methods.
For Royal Veterinary College's PhD eligibility requirements please read the following page: View Website
1. Tanaka Y, Hosoyama T, Mikamo A, Kurazumi H, Nishimoto A, Ueno K, Shirasawa B, Hamano K. Hypoxic preconditioning of human cardiosphere-derived cell sheets enhances cellular functions via activation of the PI3K/Akt/mTOR/HIF-1α pathway. Am J Transl Res. 2017 Feb 15;9(2):664-673
2. Dutton L, Dudhia J, Catchpole B, Huggins A, Werling D, Connolly DJ. Immunomodulatory potential of canine cardiosphere derived cells. Sci Rep. 2018 Sep 6;8(1):13351
3. Watson SA, Scigliano M, Bardi I, Ascione R, Terracciano CM, Perbellini F. Preparation of viable adult ventricular myocardial slices from large and small mammals. Nat Protoc. 2017 Dec;12(12):2623-2639.
4. Butler J, Epstein SE, Greene SJ, Quyyumi AA, Sikora S, Kim RJ, Anderson AS, Wilcox JE, Tankovich NI, Lipinski MJ, Ko YA, Margulies KB, Cole RT, Skopicki HA, Gheorghiade M Intravenous Allogeneic Mesenchymal Stem Cells for Nonischemic Cardiomyopathy: Safety and Efficacy Results of a Phase II-A Randomized Trial. Circ Res. 2017 Jan 20;120(2):332-340
5. Greene SJ, Epstein SE, Kim RJ, Quyyumi AA, Cole RT, Anderson AS, Wilcox JE, Skopicki HA, Sikora S, Verkh L, Tankovich NI, Gheorghiade M, Butler J. Rationale and design of a randomized controlled trial of allogeneic mesenchymal stem cells in patients with nonischemic cardiomyopathy. J Cardiovasc Med (Hagerstown). 2017 Apr;18(4):283-290
6. Luger D, Lipinski MJ, Westman PC, Glover DK, Dimastromatteo J, Frias JC, Albelda MT, Sikora S, Kharazi A, Vertelov G, Waksman R, Epstein SE. Intravenously Delivered Mesenchymal Stem Cells: Systemic Anti-Inflammatory Effects Improve Left Ventricular Dysfunction in Acute Myocardial Infarction and Ischemic Cardiomyopathy. Circ Res. 2017 May 12;120(10):1598-1613