Principal supervisor: Dr. Yi Zou (XJTLU)
Co-supervisor: Dr. Emilio Pagani-Núñez (XJTLU)
Co-supervisor: Dr. Jenny A. Hodgson (UoL)
Worldwide pollinators are threatened by a variety of factors, of which urbanization is one of the most important drivers. China is undergoing a rapid urbanization process. The loss of suitable habitats, decline in food sources and exposure to pesticide in the urban area threaten the survival of wild pollinators. The project will investigate the drivers of pollinator diversity crisis caused by urbanization by analyzing a global dataset and conducting empirical experiments. Empirical studies will be conducted in a series of landscapes with different urbanization intensity in Suzhou city, where pollinator diversity will be investigated. Pesticide exposure and food source for the mason bee (Osmia excavata) will be investigated in these landscapes. The results of this project will help us understand the drivers of the pollinator crisis and provide guidelines for pollinator conservation in urban and peri-urban areas.
For more information about doctoral scholarship and PhD programme at Xi’an Jiaotong-Liverpool University (XJTLU): Please visit
The candidate should have a first class or upper second class honours degree, or a master’s degree (or equivalent qualification), in Ecology, Environmental Science, or Entomology. Evidence of good spoken and written English is essential. The candidate should have an IELTS score of 6.5 or above, if the first language is not English. This position is open to all qualified candidates irrespective of nationality.
The student will be awarded a PhD degree from the University of Liverpool (UK) upon successful completion of the program.
How to Apply:
Interested applicants are advised to email [Email Address Removed] (XJTLU principal supervisor’s email address) in prior to the application. For formal application, the following documents are required for review and assessment (please put the project title in the subject line).
- Two reference letters with company/university letterhead
- Personal statement outlining your interest in the position
- Proof of English language proficiency (an IELTS score of 6.5 or above)
- Verified school transcripts in both Chinese and English (for international
- students, only the English version is required)
- Verified certificates of education qualifications in both Chinese and English (for
- international students, only the English version is required)
- PDF copy of Master Degree dissertation (or an equivalent writing sample) and
- examiners reports available
Informal enquiries may be addressed to Dr. Yi Zou ([Email Address Removed]) , whose personal profile is linked below,