This project is no longer listed on FindAPhD.com and may not be available.Click here to search FindAPhD.com for PhD studentship opportunities
Thisposition is funded via The Industrial Biotechnology Innovation Centre (IBioIC) in collaboration with Robert Stubbs, Director of the Scottish Forestry Trust and Andy Leitch (Industrial Supervisor), Forestry Commission Scotland. It is a fully funded 4-year PhD position with a 3 month industrial placement. The successful candidate will be part of the highly-rated IBioIC CTP - http://www.ibioic-ctp.com/ and will be involved in all aspects of its training programme . This CTP has been running since 2017 with a wide range of projects being supported - for some examples http://www.ibioic-ctp.com/our_students/projects/d1092/ The candidate must be available to start on 27th September 2019.
For a taster of the challenges inherent in developing a more sustainable society please see
For some recent papers on biomass use from the Westwood group please see:
1. Selective Primary Alcohol Oxidation of Lignin Streams from Butanol-Pretreated Agricultural Waste Biomass. Panovic, Isabella; Lancefield, Christopher S.; Phillips, Darren; Gronnow, Mark J.; Westwood, Nicholas J. ChemSusChem (2019), 12(2), 542-548.DOI:10.1002/cssc.201801971
2. Is oxidation-reduction a real robust strategy for lignin conversion? A comparative study on lignin and model compounds. Guo, Haiwei; Miles-Barrett, Daniel M.; Zhang, Bo; Wang, Aiqin; Zhang, Tao; Westwood, Nicholas J.; Li, Changzhi. Green Chemistry (2019), 21(4), 803-811. DOI:10.1039/c8gc02670j
2. Pre-treatment of lignocellulosic feedstocks using biorenewable alcohols: towards complete biomass valorisation. Lancefield, C.S., Panovic, I., Deuss, P.J., Barta, K., Westwood, N.J., Green Chem. (2017) 19, 202-214 and a linked patent application.
3.Use of Bisulfite Processing To Generate High-β-O‑4 Content Water-Soluble Lignosulfonates. Daniel M. Miles-Barrett, James R. D. Montgomery, Christopher S. Lancefield, David B. Cordes, Alexandra M. Z. Slawin, Tomas Lebl, Reuben Carr, and Nicholas J. Westwood* ACS Sustainable Chem. Eng., 2017, 5 (2), pp 1831–1839 DOI: 10.1021/acssuschemeng.6b02566
4. Isolation of Functionalized Phenolic Monomers through Selective Oxidation and C-O Bond Cleavage of the β-O-4 Linkages in Lignin. Lancefield, C.S., Ojo, O.S., Tran, F., Westwood, N.J.*, Angewandte Chemie, International Edition (2015), 54(1), 258-262.
5. Aromatic monomers by in situ conversion of reactive intermediates in the acid-catalyzed depolymerization of lignin. Deuss P.J., Scott M., Tran F., Westwood N.J., De Vries J.G.*, Barta K.* Journal of the American Chemical Society, (2015) 137(23), 7456-7467.
6. The synthesis and analysis of lignin-bound Hibbert ketone structures in technical lignins. Miles-Barrett, D.M., Neal, A.R., Hand, C., Montgomery, J.R.D., Panovic, I., Ojo, O.S., Lancefield, C.S., Cordes, D.B., Slawin, A.M.Z., Lebl, T., Westwood, N. J.*, Org. Biomol. Chem. (2016) 14, 10023-10030.
FTE Category A staff submitted: 37.30
Research output data provided by the Research Excellence Framework (REF)Click here to see the results for all UK universities