Huawei is a leading telecom solutions provider. Through continuous customer-centric innovation, we have established end-to-end advantages in telecom network infrastructure, application & software, and professional services and devices. With comprehensive strengths in wireline, wireless and IP technologies, Huawei has gained a leading position in the All-IP convergence age. Our products and solutions have been deployed in over 100 countries and have served 45 of the world's top 50 telecom operators, as well as one third of the world's population.
Huawei’s vision is to enrich people's lives through communication. By leveraging our experience and expertise in the telecom sector, we help bridge the digital divide and give people the opportunity to join the information age, regardless of their geographic origin. Huawei’s Munich Research Center is responsible for advanced technical research, architecture evolution design and strategic technical planning.
Our AI4Sec Team (https://ai4sec.net) performs advanced research in cybersecurity and machine learning/artificial intelligence. Our topics of interest include, but are not limited to, malware analysis, NLP for unstructured security-domain data, network attack correlation, and reinforcement learning applications in cybersecurity. We are looking for a PhD candidate to research in the area of malware analysis based on machine learning (ML). We are particularly interested in the research for improving anti-analysis mitigation techniques to cater for packing, obfuscation, anti-sandboxing, as well as for detecting and eliciting malware behavior. In collaboration with AI4Sec team members, and your supervisors, you will employ and advance ML algorithms on large data sets to produce state-of-the-art results for both academic publication and industrial application. This is a four-year contract position, starting from the date of PhD (see below PhD Requirements).
- Research on state of the art on ML-based models for performing malware analysis to detect and classify known & unknown anti-analysis and evasive behaviors
- Detect adversarial samples with ML-based models and adapt detection techniques to new anti-analysis and evasive techniques
- Develop ML-based prototypes for static and dynamic malware detection
- Curate high-quality up-to-date malware and goodware datasets
- Publish your achievements in form of patent applications and in relevant research venues (e.g., Usenix, IEEE S&P, ACM CCS)
- M.Sc.(Eng.) degree in Computer Science or a related field
- Excellent knowledge of cyber-security topics and in malware analysis
- Robust skills in relevant programming languages, mainly Python, C/C++, Assembly
- Excellent intercultural communication and coordination skills
- Fluency in English (written and spoken)
Understanding basics of ML and data science as well as knowledge of ML libraries and tools
- Familiarity with Windows internals
- Familiarity with emulators and sandboxing/virtualization technologies, e.g., QEMU, WINE
What to submit:
When applying at Huawei, please submit the following documents (preferably, as a single PDF file)
- An up-to-date CV, including University transcripts of all the BSc/MSc exams (if needed, translated into English with an explanation of the grading system), and link to the MSc thesis
- a 2-page research statement showing motivation and understanding of the topic of the position, and the reason you would like to join us and pursue a PhD
- at least one contact person (2 even better) who could act as reference(s)
This position is as an employee of Huawei (at Munich Research Center) for a four-year contract. The successful candidate is also expected to enroll at the PhD School of Politecnico di Milano (Polimi). To this end, please note that the candidate will have to be evaluated by the Polimi Board of Professors for PhD admission (more info at: https://dottoratoit.deib.polimi.it/?m=3&id=7). The position will then start from the beginning of the Polimi PhD, which can start on one of the following dates: November 1st, February 1st, or May 1st, with a four-year contract. The successful candidate will be jointly supervised by Prof. Stefano Zanero from Polimi University (academic supervisor) and by Dr Daniele Sgandurra from Huawei AI4Sec (industrial supervisors).
We offer an international career with outstanding opportunities for professional development. You will be exposed to the latest security and telecommunication technologies, have access to rich sources of challenging data and will be integrated into Huawei’s agile development culture. We offer a dynamic and friendly working environment in which like-minded professionals share expertise in building know-how. We promote and generously reward talent and invite you to grow with us.
By applying to this position, you agree with our RECRUITMENT PRIVACY STATEMENT. You can read in full our recruitment privacy statement via the link below.