The Section of Medical Statistics at the Medical University of Vienna (MUW) invites applications for a funded PhD position (3 years) in Medical Statistics. We seek researchers with a strong background in statistics, mathematics or related fields who would like to gain research experience as part of an innovative research group in medical statistics. The starting dates for the position is flexible.
Information about the research project
The position is funded by the EU-IMI project PEARL. The objective of the project is to develop innovative statistical methods for the design and analysis of clinical platform trials. This includes the development of methods for statistical inference (frequentist/Bayesian), optimized adaptive designs and the implementation in statistical software such as R. The researchers will be supervised by Franz König and Martin Posch. Further project collaborators include other staff members as well as international partners in the EU consortium from European universities, regulatory authorities and industry partners.
Information on the department
The researcher will be integrated in the working group “Adaptive Designs” at the Section of Medical Statistics. The department is part of the Center for Medical Statistics, Informatics, and Intelligent Systems (CeMSIIS) at the Medical University of Vienna. The department has a long-standing research tradition with an outstanding track record in methodological, biostatistical research including areas as adaptive designs, multiple testing and data science.
Applications should be sent per email to [email protected]
until October 15 or until the positions are filled including (all documents as PDF):
• Personal letter: 1-3 pages where you introduce yourself, present your qualifications, previous research fields, main research results, future research plans and the motivation for your application.
• Copies of bachelor and master thesis.
• Copies of completed education, grades and other certificates
• Two references that we can contact.
Info on salary / PhD studies
• The PhD salary will be in line with the guideline of the Austrian science fund. The MUW is an equal opportunity employer.
• PhD program “Medical Informatics, Biostatistics & Complex Systems” and admission at MUW
For informal inquiries please contact
Martin Posch, [email protected]
Franz König, [email protected]
• strong background in statistics, mathematics or a related field,
• interest to develop innovative statistical methods,
• programming skills, e.g., in statistical software such as R or SAS,
• oral and written communication skills in English (knowledge of German is not required),
• willingness to collaborate across scientific and geographic borders.