Applications are invited from self-funded students. For UK/EU tuition fees are £8,750 and International are £25,500 for 2019/20 academic year.
Candidates are expected to hold (or be about to obtain) a minimum upper second class honours degree (or the overseas equivalent) in Chemistry, Biochemistry, Bioscience or a related area/subject. Candidates with experience in Chemical biology (biological chemistry), with an interest in enzymes (biocatalysis) and/or synthesis (chemocatalysis) are encouraged to apply.
• Integrated Catalysis Opens New Arylation Pathways via Regiodivergent Enzymatic C-H Activation. J. Latham, J.-M. Henry, H. H. Sharif, B. R. K. Menon, S. A. Shepherd, M. F. Greaney, J.Micklefield. Nature Commun. 2016, 7, 11873 (http://dx.doi.org/10.1038/NCOMMS11873)
• Development of Halogenase Enzymes for Use in Synthesis J. Latham, E. Brandenburger, S. A. Shepherd, B. R. K. Menon and J.Micklefield Chem. Rev 2018, 118, 232-269; (http://dx.doi.org/10.1021/acs.chemrev.7b00032)
• RadH: A Versatile Halogenase for Integration into Synthetic Pathways. B. R. K. Menon, E. Brandenburger, H. H. Sharif, U. Klemstein, S.A. Shepherd, M. F. Greaney, J. Micklefield Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. 2017, 56, 11841 –11845 (http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/anie.201706342)
• A Structure-Guided Switch in the Regioselectivity of a Tryptophan Halogenase. S. A. Shepherd, B. R. K. Menon, H. Fisk, A.-W. Struck, C. Levy, D. Leys, J. Micklefield ChemBioChem 2016, 17, 821-824 (http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/cbic.201600051)
• Extending the Biocatalytic Scope of Regiocomplementary Flavin-Dependent Halogenase Enzymes. S. A. Shepherd, C. Karthikeyan, J. Latham, A.-W. Struck, M. L. Thompson, B. Menon, M. Styles, C. Levy, D. Leys and J. Micklefield Chemical Science 2015, 6, 3454-3460 (http://dx.doi.org/10.1039/C5SC00913H)