This project is no longer listed on FindAPhD.com and may not be available.Click here to search FindAPhD.com for PhD studentship opportunities
This studentship is only open to self-funding candidates. Self-funding candidates are expected to pay University fees and to provide their own living costs. University fee bands are shown at
Projects in Applied Sciences are typically costed at Band 4.
1. Simoes DCM, Alissafi T, Kourepini E, Paschalidis N, Aggelakopoulou M, Sparwasser T, Boon L; Hammad H; Lambrecht B, Panoutsakopoulou V (2017). Osteopontin promotes protective antigenic tolerance against experimental allergic airway disease. The Journal of Immunology, 200(4): 1270-1282.
2. Simoes DCM, Vogiatzis I (2018). Can muscle protein metabolism be specifically targeted by exercise training in COPD? Journal of Thoracic Disease; 10(12): S1377-S1389.
3. Papaporfyriou A, Loukides S, Kostikas K, Simoes DCM, Papatheodorou G, Konstantellou E, Hillas G, Papiris S, Koulouris N, Bakakos P (2014). Increased levels of osteopontin in sputum supernatant in patients with COPD. Chest; 146(4): 951-958.
4. Simoes DCM, Psarra AMG, Mauad T, Pantou I, Roussos C, Sekeris CE, Gratziou C. (2012) Glucocorticoid and Estrogen Receptors Are Reduced in Mitochondria of Lung Epithelial Cells in Asthma. Plos One 7(6): e39183.
5. Vogiatzis I, Simoes DCM, Stratakos G, Terzis G, Georgiadou O, Zakynthinos S, Roussos C (2010). Effect of pulmonary rehabilitation on peripheral muscle remodeling in cahectic and non-cahectic COPD patients European Respiratory Journal, 36: 301-310
6. Simoes DCM, Xanthou G, Petrochilou K, Panoutsakopoulou V, Roussos C, Gratziou C (2009). Osteopontin deficiency protects against airway remodeling and hyperresponsiveness in chronic asthma. The American Journal of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine, 179: 894-902.
7. Xanthou G, Alissafi T, Semitekolou M, Simoes DCM, Oikononidou E, Gaga M, Lambrecht BN, Lloyd CM, Panoutsakopoulou V (2007). Osteopontin has a crucial role in allergic airway disease through regulation of dendritic cell subsets. Nature Medicine, 13 (5): 570-578.
8. Vogiatzis I, Stratakos G, Simoes DCM, Terzis G, Georgiadou O, Zakynthinos S, Roussos C (2007). Effects of rehabilitative exercise on peripheral muscle TNF-alpha, IL-6, IGF-I and MyoD expression in COPD patients. Thorax 62: 950-956.