Vascular Development Laboratory (www.makinenlab.com) at Uppsala University aims to understand the regulation of the vasculature in physiological and pathological conditions. The lab develops and utilizes genetic mouse models in combination with a variety of molecular and cell biological approaches (including advanced microscopy, flow cytometry and (single cell) RNA sequencing) to study how endothelial cells communicate with the tissue environment to co-ordinate morphogenesis and functional specialisation of the vasculature. The lab also investigates how regulators of developmental (lymph)angiogenesis impact on genetic human diseases such as lymphoedema and vascular malformations.
The lab is part of a European MSCA-ITN network ‘V.A.Cure’ (www.vacure.eu) that aims to uncover core mechanisms underlying vascular anomalies and to leverage this information for extablishing novel therapeutic strategies. For this project, the lab invites applications for two Early Stage Researcher (ESR)/PhD student position (ESR 7)
You will work on a research project with the following objectives:
• Investigate vascular development in gain- and loss-of-function Pik3ca mouse and zebrafish models
• Identify Pik3ca-regulated transcriptome and proteome by single cell RNA sequencing and proteomics
• Determine VM/LM specific transcriptome
• You will also take part in the international training programme of the network and participate in various networking and outreach events.
We are looking for a motivated student with a strong commitment to basic and/or translational research, who:
• is eligible for MSCA-ETN funding, see Funding Notes.
• has a MSc degree in biology, biomedical sciences or related disciplines
• has experience with experimental research; in particular experience with in vivo work (including tissue dissection, preparation and staining), confocal microscopy and image processing and analysis would be advantageous
• has good skills in oral and written English
• is a team player with good communication skills
The period of employment is 4 years. The successful candidate will receive an attractive salary in accordance with MSCA regulations for Early Stage Researchers for the first 3 years. The salary of the fourth year will be according to local guidelines for PhD students at Uppsala University.
The successful candidate will devote most of the time towards his/her research level education. Other service activities within the department, e.g. education and administrative work can be included within the framework of the employment (maximum 20%). The positions will be extended with the time devoted to teaching to allow four years of full time of graduate studies.
How to apply
– Make sure you meet the qualifying requirements.
– The application must be submitted to Uppsala University via a web form that is accessible through this link: https://www.uu.se/en/about-uu/join-us/details/?positionId=259517
Please also send your application to [email protected]
, mentioning the number of the ESR position (ESR7) in the subject line.
– Please include in the application:
• A motivation letter describing your research career goals, skills and experience (cover letter)
• Curriculum vitae
• Grade transcripts and BSc/MSc diploma (in English or with a translation into English)
• Two letters of recommendation or the contact information of at least 2 referees.
Deadline for submitting applications: 1 May 2019
The network consortium will make a shortlist for each position. Shortlisted candidates will be interviewed (face-to-face or via teleconferencing) by three consortium members. Final selection may involve an additional face-to-face interview. All interviews will be held in English.
Application deadline: 1 May 2019
Interviews: April – August 2019
Aimed start date: June – October 2019
Selection of applicants will be done in consultation with the postgraduate study group of the Department. The Postgraduate Programmes Committee at the Disciplinary Domain of Medicine will formally approve the student's admission.
Please visit http://www.vacure.eu
for more information on the project, the recruitment process and selection criteria. Further information on the activity of the research group can be accessed at http://www.makinenlab.com
Information about education at the postgraduate level, admission requirements and admission decisions can be found at http://www2.medfarm.uu.se/utbildning/forskarniva/vill_du_borja/
Uppsala University strives to be an inclusive workplace that promotes equal opportunities and attracts qualified candidates who can contribute to the University’s excellence and diversity. We welcome applications from all sections of the community and from people of all backgrounds.
For further information about the position please contact: Taija Mäkinen, [email protected]