Requirements: The candidate should have : (1) a first class or upper second class honours degree, or a master’s degree (or equivalent qualification); (2) solid mathematical background and strong programming skills in python or C/C++ (good research experience is preferred); (3) strong motivation and passion for conducting research and publishing papers. Evidence of good spoken and written English is essential. The candidate should have an IELTS score of 6.5 or above, if the first language is not English. This position is open to all qualified candidates irrespective of nationality.
Degree: The student will be awarded a PhD degree from the University of Liverpool (UK) upon successful completion of the program.
Project Description: The rampant spam of search engines has severely affected users’ search experience and the order of the Internet. Traditional ranking algorithms based on link analysis such as PageRank algorithm cannot effectively solve the problem. The general ranking algorithms do not take into account the spam property of the webpage, hence they can not provide a correct ranking for the webpage. We conduct research on learning to rank algorithm to give a fair ranking according the quality of the webpages as an important supplement of the search engines. The four sub-topics are extended for the research goal: (1) Extract features that can represent the spam property of the webpages; (2) Study semi-supervised learning to rank algorithms; (3) Use online algorithms and user-feedback to build a dynamic learning to rank algorithms. The accomplishment of the project will improve search quality, save the energy consumption of search engine, and regulate Internet order.
For more information about doctoral scholarship and PhD programme at Xi’an Jiaotong-Liverpool University (XJTLU): Please visit
How to Apply:
Interested applicants are advised to email [Email Address Removed] (XJTLU principal supervisor’s email address) the following documents for initial review and assessment (please put the project title in the subject line).
• Two reference letters with company/university letterhead
• Personal statement outlining your interest in the position
• Proof of English language proficiency (an IELTS score of 6.5 or above)
• Verified school transcripts in both Chinese and English (for international students, only the English version is required)
• Verified certificates of education qualifications in both Chinese and English (for international students, only the English version is required)
• PDF copy of Master Degree dissertation (or an equivalent writing sample) and examiners reports available Informal enquiries may be addressed to Dr. Jin ([Email Address Removed]), whose personal profile is linked below,