This project will investigate the application of laser shock peening to aerospace alloys, combining experimental and modelling approaches to optimise the application of the technique to trial components for current development programmes.
The project is part of a programme of research, in collaboration with Airbus and the US Air Force Research Laboratory, on the application of laser surface engineering to improve materials integrity.
The project will investigate laser shock peening for the generation of residual stress and the enhancement of fatigue life. The project will involve the use of advanced methods for the characterization of residual stress, including at international neutron and X-ray sources. There will also be experimental characterisation of fatigue and fracture properties.
Training and Development
The successful candidate will receive comprehensive research training including technical, personal and professional skills.
All researchers at Coventry University (from PhD to Professor) are part of the Doctoral College and Centre for Research Capability and Development, which provides support with high-quality training and career development activities.
Entry criteria for applicants to PHD
• A minimum of a 2:1 first degree in a relevant discipline/subject area with a minimum 60% mark in the project element or equivalent with a minimum 60% overall module average.
the potential to engage in innovative research and to complete the PhD within a 3.5 years
• a minimum of English language proficiency (IELTS overall minimum score of 7.0 with a minimum of 6.5 in each component)
For further details see: https://www.coventry.ac.uk/research/research-students/making-an-application/
Additional items for candidate specification
• first degree in materials science/engineering, mechanical engineering, physics or a related subject
• knowledge and/or experience in stress analysis
• knowledge and/or experience in mechanical testing
• willingness to travel in support of the requirements of the project
How to apply
To find out more about the project please contact Professor Mike Fitzpatrick
To apply on line please visit: https://pgrplus.coventry.ac.uk/
All applications require full supporting documentation, a covering letter, plus a 2000-word supporting statement showing how the applicant’s expertise and interests are relevant to the project.
Eligibility: UK/EU graduates with the required entry requirements
Start date: September 2019
Duration: Full-Time – between three and three and a half years fixed term