Project title: Light scattering assessment in vitreous body with Optical Coherence Tomography
Institution: Nicolaus Copernicus University in Torun
BOEL group leader: Dr hab. Ireneusz Grulkowski, prof. UMK
Scholarship for 4 years available. The starting date: October 1st, 2021. 3600PLN/month
The project aims to develop and clinically validate novel optical imaging modality based on Optical Coherence Tomography to provide high-resolution visualization of the vitreous body. We will quantitatively characterize vitreous body structure in different vitreo-retinal diseases.
The new modality will facilitate fundamental research on the vitreous since it will enable characterization of the vitreous structure in health and disease. The project will bring important scientific benefits in the form of understanding the fundamental issues of optical properties of the ocular structures. Novel optical diagnostic modality capable of high-resolution vitreous imaging will fill the gap in the current optical diagnostic methodology that bypasses vitreous body structure.
· To develop optical coherence tomography (OCT) device for high resolution, three-dimensional, full vitreous body imaging and analysis.
· To correlate vitreous body structure abnormalities with subjects’ vision deficiency.
· To evaluate the prospect of OCT application in vitreous therapeutic interventions.
Required initial knowledge and skills of the PhD candidate:
· Completed the study (Master’s degree) in physics, optical engineering, computer specialist or other related fields.
· Is motivated to conduct research and to turn challenges into opportunities
· Possesses skills in data processing/programming
· Good understanding of physics
· Very good communicating skills
Please submit CV & scan of the master’s degree diploma to email@example.com. Deadline 29th Sep.