About the Project
The candidate should have a first class or upper second class honours degree, or a master’s degree (or equivalent qualification), in Mathematics or Computer Science. Evidence of good spoken and written English is essential. The candidate should have an IELTS score of 6.5 or above, if the first language is not English. This position is open to all qualified candidates irrespective of nationality.
The student will be awarded a PhD degree from the University of Liverpool (UK) upon successful completion of the program.
Generalized multiscale finite element method (GMsFEM) can handle the multiscale phenomena efficiently, which extensively exist in reservoir simulation. Multiple scales in permeabilities (subsurface properties) can span a large range and the variations in the permeability can be of several orders of magnitude. To capture the multiscale property of heterogeneous media, standard polynomial basis functions are replaced by some solutions of local cell problems, which are called multiscale basis functions. To construct these bases, we traditionally need to solve a series of partial differential equations (PDE) locally. In this project, we try to replace these PDE solvers with some data-driven approaches. The objective of this project is to design novel multi-layer neural network architectures for multiscale simulations of flows taking into account the observed data and physical modeling concepts.
For more information about doctoral scholarship and PhD programme at Xi’an Jiaotong-Liverpool University (XJTLU): Please visit
How to Apply
Interested applicants are advised to email [Email Address Removed] (XJTLU principal supervisor’s email address) the following documents for initial review and assessment (please put the project title in the subject line).
• Two reference letters with company/university letterhead
• Personal statement outlining your interest in the position
• Proof of English language proficiency (an IELTS score of 6.5 or above)
• Verified school transcripts in both Chinese and English (for international students, only the English version is required)
• Verified certificates of education qualifications in both Chinese and English (for international students, only the English version is required)
• PDF copy of Master Degree dissertation (or an equivalent writing sample) and examiners reports available
Informal enquiries may be addressed to Professor/Dr. Jie Chen ([Email Address Removed]), whose personal profile is linked below,
Based on your current searches we recommend the following search filters.
Based on your current search criteria we thought you might be interested in these.