Location: Johnson Matthey Technology Centre Chilton, Billingham, TS23 1LB, UK
The Early Stage Researcher (ESR) will work within the EU Funded Project MatheGram (Multiscale Analysis of Thermomechanical Behaviour of Granular Materials). She/he will specifically address the development of a model of heat generation and transfer in a reactive granular material. She/he will use the Discrete Element Method (DEM) for the description of the granular phase coupled with Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD) techniques. The definition of this modelling approach will allow understanding the interplay between chemical reactions and the thermomechanical behaviour of granular materials. This knowledge is critical in the manufacturing process as it can dictate product quality, by-product emissions, energy consumption and scale up.
• To follow JM code of ethics and safety standards
• To engage in the training activities within JM and the wider MatheGram network
• To plan and carry out the experimental work in a safe, efficient and professional manner
• To develop DEM and CFD-DEM models for heat generation due to chemical reaction
• To carry out work during planned secondments at the University of Surrey, UK and at DCS Computing, Mayrhofer, Austria
• To foster synergies between the work packages of the MatheGram Project and cooperate with other ESRs in the network
Are you the ideal candidate?
• Have less than 4 years (full time equivalent) research experience and not already been awarded a PhD degree; be highly motivated towards a PhD and for the overall MatheGram research and training objectives
• Hold a master’s degree in Chemical Engineering
• Have not resided or carried out your main activity in the UK for more than twelve months in the three years immediately prior to the recruitment
• Have proficiency in English (English certificates will be required, such as IELTS and TOEFL)
• Have good communication and team-working skills
• Have knowledge/experience of experimental measurement and data analysis, good programming skills and familiarity with DEM/CFD software
How to apply
A full job description is available on request from [email protected]
. If you have the necessary skills and experience to join our team, please apply online @ http://www.matthey.com/careers
Salary package: Favourable remuneration according to EU standards. Please note the net salary will be adjusted through the application of a country correction coefficient as well as subjected to deduction of all compulsory social security contributions and direct taxes.
Start date: From January 2019
Opening date for applications: 31st October 2018
Closing date for applications: 8th January 2019