About the Project
This study will focus on genome sequence investigations of unknown actinobacteria that possess mycolic acids to establish their phylogenetic positions by comparative analyses of single genes such as 16SSU and gyrB and whole genomes with those available in bioinformatics databases. Further, whole genome data will be explored via bioinformatics analyses for degradation and synthesis pathways of potential biotechnological interest for future investigation.
This will primarily be an in silico study but may have an element of laboratory work, including bacteriology and molecular biology, depending on progress.
A first degree (at least a 2.1) ideally in Microbiology or Biomedical Science with a good fundamental knowledge of bacteriology and bioinformatics.
English language requirement
IELTS score must be at least 6.5 (with not less than 6.0 in each of the four components). Other, equivalent qualifications will be accepted. Full details of the University’s policy are available online.
• Experience of fundamental laboratory skills in bacteriology
• Competent in bioinformatics and PCR
• Knowledge of whole genome sequence analysis
• Good written and oral communication skills
• Strong motivation, with evidence of independent research skills relevant to the project
• Good time management
Knowledge of bacterial taxonomy, genomic DNA extraction and sequence analysis
Please quote project code SAS0076 in your enquiry and application.
• Completed application form
• 2 academic references, using the Postgraduate Educational Reference Form (Found on the application process page)
• A personal research statement (This should include (a) a brief description of your relevant experience and skills, (b) an indication of
what you would uniquely bring to the project and (c) a statement of how this project fits with your future direction.)
• Evidence of proficiency in English (if appropriate)
For informal enquiries about this MRes project, please contact Dr Fiona Stainsby: [email protected]
Ma, Q., Gao, X., Bi, X., Tu, L., Xia, M., Shen Y., & Wang, M. (2020).
Isolation, characterisation, and genome sequencing of Rhodococcus equi: a novel strain producing chitin deacetylase. Scientific Reports
Sangal, V., Goodfellow, M., Jones, A.L., Seviour, R.J. & Sutcliffe, I.C. (2019). Refined Systematics of the Genus Rhodococcus Based on Whole Genome Analyses. In Alvarez, H.M. (Ed) Biology of Rhodococcus. Springer, Cham
Schneider, K., Graf, E., Irran, E.E., Nicholson, G., Stainsby, F.M., Goodfellow, M., Borden, S.A., Keller, S., Süssmuth, R.D., & Feidler, H-
P. (2008). Biosynthetic capabilities of Actinomycetes No. 43: Bendigoles A~C, new steroids from Gordonia australis Acta 2299. The Journal of Antibiotics 61, 356-364.
Why not add a message here
Based on your current searches we recommend the following search filters.
Based on your current search criteria we thought you might be interested in these.