Requirements: The candidate should have a first class or upper second class honours degree, or a master’s degree (or equivalent qualification), in Civil/Structural/Material Engineering or relevant area. Evidence of good spoken and written English is essential. The candidate should have an IELTS score of 6.5 or above, if the first language is not English. This position is open to all qualified candidates irrespective of nationality.
Degree: The student will be awarded a PhD degree from the University of Liverpool (UK) upon successful completion of the program.
Project Description: Recycling of solid wastes, such as tyre rubber, to produce concrete composites with both environmental-friendly and structural performance merits, have attracted research interests in recent years. This project focuses on the study of the comprehensive properties of concrete composites incorporating recycled tyre rubber materials, aiming at providing design guidance for the application of such innovative materials. The influence of rubber on the impact and multi-axial behaviour of rubberised concrete, in conjunction with the confinement effects will be investigated. Meanwhile, the microstructural and thermo-gravimetric analyses will also be performed, providing detailed understanding in the constitutive integrity of rubberised concrete, which has been lacking to date. The experimental results, combined with numerical and analytical analyses, will provide detailed insights in the optimal mix design of rubberised concrete as well as the design guidance for practical applications.
How to Apply: Interested applicants are advised to email Dr. Bowen Xu ([Email Address Removed]).Please find Dr. Xu’s personal profile here. The following documents for initial review and assessment (please put the project title in the subject line).
- Research proposal (not exceeding 2 A4 pages)
- Personal statement outlining your interest in the position
- Transcripts of university studies and grading system (both bachelor and master)
- University degree certificate or enrolment statement (both bachelor and master)
- A copy of Master dissertation and examiners reports if applicable
- Certificate of English language qualifications
- Two reference letters with company/university letterhead
- A copy of your passport (for international students only)