About the Project
Wind turbines are one of the renewable sources of energy which is becoming a sustainable alternative way to produce energy, and which is growing fast all around the world. There are several important factors affecting the lifetime and reliability of the main structure of floating offshore wind turbine (FOWT) systems. Unlike land wind turbines design considerations, floating offshore wind turbines are subjected to different operating conditions, hence, they must be designed considering several different combinations of waves, current, buoyancy, mooring forces and centrifugal loads. Based on the mentioned above, research on optimal structural design for FOWT systems is essential in the energy sector and structural design area.
Aim and objectives:
The aim of this research project is to investigate the structural performance of current practice FOWT systems for different combinations of environmental loads and improve their designs for cost-effective and practical solutions. The objectives involve:
- Develop sophisticated numerical modelling of various FOWT system configurations using PYTHON coding in ABAQUS.
- Enhance the current designs of the selected FOWT systems employing multi-objective optimisation methods taking into account the practicality constraints.
Successful completion of the project and publication of its results will likely lead to significant application in the renewable energy sector which is rapidly growing in the UK and worldwide.
Candidates should have (or expect to achieve) a UK honours degree at 2.1 or above (or equivalent) in Civil/Structural/Mechanical Engineering.
Knowledge of: Offshore structures, structural optimisation and finite element modelling
• Apply for Degree of Doctor of Philosophy in Engineering
• State name of the lead supervisor as the Name of Proposed Supervisor
• State ‘Self-funded’ as Intended Source of Funding
• State the exact project title on the application form
When applying please ensure all required documents are attached:
• All degree certificates and transcripts (Undergraduate AND Postgraduate MSc-officially translated into English where necessary)
• Detailed CV
Informal inquiries can be made to Dr A Bagheri Sabbagh ([Email Address Removed]), with a copy of your curriculum vitae and cover letter. All general enquiries should be directed to the Postgraduate Research School ([Email Address Removed])
It is possible to undertake this project entirely by distance learning. Interested parties should contact Dr Bagheri Sabbagh to discuss this.
Based on your current searches we recommend the following search filters.
Based on your current search criteria we thought you might be interested in these.