This project is no longer listed on FindAPhD.com and may not be available.Click here to search FindAPhD.com for PhD studentship opportunities
Funding covers UK/European tuition fees and an annual stipend (£14,296). Applications will be considered from outstanding individuals with a background in a relevant discipline including biological or medical sciences. The equivalent of a first or upper second-class degree and basic research/laboratory experience is essential. Experience with human cell culture, FACS, RT-PCR and Western Blotting would be an advantage but not essential.
Applications should include a full CV, cover letter and the names/addresses of potential referees either emailed or sent to Dr Bernhard Gibbs, Medway School of Pharmacy, University of Kent, Central Avenue, Chatham Maritime, Kent, ME4 4TB.
Closing date: 31/03/2016
1) Gibbs BF, Gonçalves-Silva I, Prokhorov A, Abooali M, Yasinska I, Casely-Hayford M, Fasler-Kan E, Sumbayev V: Caffeine affects the biological responses of human hematopoietic cells of myeloid lineage via inhibition of the mTOR pathway and xanthine oxidase activity. Oncotarget, 6(30):28678-28692. doi: 10.18632/oncotarget.5212 (2015).
2) Mizrahi S, Gibbs BF, Karra L, Ben-Zimra M, Levi-Schaffer F: Siglec-7 is a Major Inhibitory Receptor on Human Mast Cells but not on Basophils. J. Allergy Clin. Immunol., May 5. pii: S0091-6749(14)00455-2. doi: 10.1016/j.jaci.2014.03.031 (2014).
3) Gibbs BF, Yasinska IM, Calzolai L, Gilliland D, Sumbayev VV: Highly Specific Targeting of Human Leukocytes using Gold Nanoparticle-Based Biologically Active Conjugates. J. Biomed. Nanotechnol. 10:1259-1266 (2014).
4) Gibbs BF, Sabato V, Bridts CH, Ebo DG, Ben-Zimra M, Levi-Schaffer F: Expressions and inhibitory functions of CD300a receptors on purified human peripheral blood basophils. Exp. Dermatol, 21:884-885 (2012).
5) Sumbayev, V. V., Nicholas, S. A., Streatfield, C. L., Gibbs, B. F. Involvement of Hypoxia-Inducible Factor-1 in IgE-Mediated Primary Human Basophil Responses. (2009) Eur. J. Immunol. 39, 3511-3519.
6) Gibbs BF, Papenfuss K, Falcone FH: A Rapid Two-Step Procedure for the Purification of Human Peripheral Blood Basophils to Near Homogeneity. Clin. Exp. Allergy, 38:480-485 (2008).
7) Gibbs BF, Räthling A, Zillikens D, Huber M, Haas H: Initial signal strength controls basophil Fc RI-mediated signaling which is down-regulated by SH2 domain-containing inositol 5-phosphatase. J. Allergy Clin. Immunol., 118: 1060-1067 (2006).