One-shot devices, for example, automobile airbags, electro-explosive devices, munitions and rockets, are products or equipments that can be used only once. A nature characteristic of one-shot devices is that they get destroyed immediately after their use, and therefore their actual lifetimes are never observable. The only information observed is the condition whether they are functional or not at the time when they are used. The information obtained under a normal test is quite limited, especially for one-shot device. Accelerated life-test (ALT), developed by increasing the stress levels, is widely used to increase the failure. This project aims to develop some semi-parametric and non-parametric models for one-shot device data under ALTs, so that the inference obtained will be more robust.
For more information about doctoral scholarship and PhD programme at Xi’an Jiaotong-Liverpool University (XJTLU), please visit
The candidate should have a first class or upper second class honours degree, or a master’s degree (or equivalent qualification), in Mathematics or Statistics. Evidence of good spoken and written English is essential. The candidate should have an IELTS score of 6.5 or above, if the first language is not English. This position is open to all qualified candidates irrespective of nationality.
The student will be awarded a PhD degree from the University of Liverpool (UK) upon successful completion of the program.
How to apply
Interested applicants are advised to email Xiaojun.Zhu@xjtlu.edu.cn (XJTLU principal supervisor’s email address) the following documents for initial review and assessment (please put the project title in the subject line).
- Two reference letters with company/university letterhead
- Personal statement outlining your interest in the position
- Proof of English language proficiency (an IELTS score of 6.5 or above)
- Verified school transcripts in both Chinese and English (for international students, only the English version is required)
- Verified certificates of education qualifications in both Chinese and English (for international students, only the English version is required)
- PDF copy of Master Degree dissertation (or an equivalent writing sample) and examiners reports available
Informal enquiries may be addressed to Professor/Dr. Xiaojun Zhu (Xiaojun.Zhu@xjtlu.edu.cn), whose personal profile is linked below,