About the Project
The supervisor research team already has highly unique and world-leading numerical framework for multiphase flow simulations (see http://goo.gl/CYE1RA). The PhD student can work based on the existing numerical framework, and is expected to improve/modify the numerical framework and numerically study multiphase flow phenomena. Recently we also focus on machine learning to improve numerical algorithms and to analyse fluid phenomena, etc. The PhD student can select some of the following topics.
Possible research topics in numerical modelling:
1. Machine learning to improve numerical algorithms, to analyse fluid phenomena, etc.
2. Turbulence multiphase flows
3. Interactions between multiphase flows and structures
4. Contact angle modelling
5. High performance computing (massively parallel computing, GPU computing)
Possible research topics in fluid phenomena:
1. Energy: primary atomization, energy mining, cooling system (boiling), etc.
2. Environment: CO2 capturing, rain drop formations, heat transfer across ocean surfaces, Tsunami/flood damage predictions, etc.
3. Manufacturing: inkjet, coating, spray cooling, robotics, etc.
There are many other possible topics.
The applicants should have a strong background in mathematics (undergraduate 1st and 2nd year engineering mathematics level) and computer programming. Candidates from physics, mathematics, computer science as well as engineering are welcome.
You should have obtained, or be about to obtain, a First or Upper Second Class UK Honours degree, or the equivalent qualifications gained outside the UK.
Applicants with a Lower Second Class degree will be considered if they also have a master’s degree. Applicants with a minimum Upper Second Class degree and significant relevant non-academic experience are encouraged to apply.
Please note the following when completing your online application:
The Programme name is Doctor of Philosophy in Engineering with an October 2019 start date.
In the "Research proposal and Funding" section of your application, please specify the project title, supervisors of the project and copy the project description in the text box provided.
Please select “No, I am not self-funding my research” when asked whether you are self-funding your research.
Please quote “KY-DTP2-2019” when asked "Please provide the name of the funding you are applying for".
Based on your current searches we recommend the following search filters.
Based on your current search criteria we thought you might be interested in these.