Heriot-Watt University Featured PhD Programmes
University of Portsmouth Featured PhD Programmes
Aberdeen University Featured PhD Programmes
Ludwig-Maximilians-Universität Munich Featured PhD Programmes
University of Bristol Featured PhD Programmes

Permeable Pavement Engineering for Water Movement in Road Structures and Drainage Effects

This project is no longer listed in the FindAPhD
database and may not be available.

Click here to search the FindAPhD database
for PhD studentship opportunities
  • Full or part time
    Dr K Tota-Maharaj
  • Application Deadline
    Applications accepted all year round

Project Description

Location: Trinidad and Tobago/ Kent, England, UK

Supervisor(s): Dr Kiran Tota-Maharaj ([email protected]); Professor Colin Hills ([email protected]); Dr Denver Cheddie ([email protected]) and Dr. Amarnath Chinchamme ([email protected])

Permeable pavement engineering (PPE) involves an effective and simple method of providing structural pavements, whilst allowing urban runoff to infiltrate freely through the pavement surfaces, promoting temporary storage, storm attenuation, dispersal and reuse. This PhD project focuses on the next generation of urban drainage systems applicable to small island developing states across the Caribbean. Sustainable urban drainage systems (SUDS) such as permeable pavements can protect and enhance natural water systems within urban developments, improve the quality of water draining from urban developments, reduce runoff and peak flows via development of on-site temporary storage measures for potential water reuse and minimisation of impervious areas, reduce potable water demands utilising stormwater as a resource through capture and reuse for non-potable purposes (gardens, irrigation, car washing etc). The research will address the stormwater treatment effects of permeable pavements under varying Caribbean weather conditions and how well permeable pavement systems operate during various environmental conditions (antecedent dry periods and heavy rainfall events). The project will analyse the structural integrity, effects of performance with road/pavement maintenance in addition to the economic benefits of permeable pavements as opposed to traditional paving methods and alternative drainage technologies.

Entry Requirements: Applicants should have a minimum of a 2.1 degree in Engineering (Chemical, Civil, Environmental, Mechanical, Process, Utilities Engineering) or Natural Sciences (Chemistry, Physics, Environmental Science) and a Masters degree in a relevant subject area (Chemical and Process Engineering, Civil Engineering, Civil and Environmental Engineering, Environmental Engineering, Environmental Science and Management, Water and Wastewater Management, Renewable Energy Technology)

• Typical Duration of PhD (3 years)
• Students must have a Good (Hons) Undergrad (BSc, BASc, BEng) & Postgraduate qualification (MSc/MPhil)
• Must have Access to & Links with a Local University [(either University of Trinidad and Tobago (UTT) or the University of the West Indies (UWI)]
• Research students spend 80 % of the time annually in Caribbean country of origin where Project is applicable. Remaining 20 % (Research, Progress Reports, Progress Presentations, Seminars, Library Access, Laboratory Access, Consultation in the UK)

Funding Notes

These PhD projects are offered on a self-funding basis. It is open to applicants with funding or those applying to funding sources. International Tuition fees for 2016 for postgraduate research students working on these projects in collaboration with the University of Trinidad and Tobago are £5,850 per annum. Further Details of tuition fees can be found at: http://www2.gre.ac.uk/research/study/fees

FindAPhD. Copyright 2005-2019
All rights reserved.