PhD in the biology of ageing

   School of Biosciences

This project is no longer listed on and may not be available.

Click here to search for PhD studentship opportunities
  Dr M J P Simons  Applications accepted all year round  Self-Funded PhD Students Only

About the Project

Research into ageing is a growing and fascinating area of biology and medicine. It is increasingly recognised in academia, society and industry that many debilitating diseases and conditions share their origins in the process of ageing. My group studies many aspects of the ageing process using the fly (Drosophila melanogaster) as a model. The fly allows genetic manipulations that are highly precise and specific to our research it allows the collection of high-throughput high sample size lifespan data.

Our current main interests are: dietary restriction, nutritional geometry of life history, mTor signalling, genetics and regulation of lifespan and age-related disease. Feel free to contact me should you have any questions: [Email Address Removed]. Webpage:

Science Graduate School

As a PhD student in one of the science departments at the University of Sheffield, you will get access to training opportunities of the Science Graduate School designed to support your career development by helping you gain professional skills that are essential in all areas of science. You will be able to learn how to recognise good research and research behaviour, improve your communication abilities and experience the breadth of technologies that are used in academia, industry and many related careers. Visit to learn more.

Biological Sciences (4)

Funding Notes

Applicants will need to obtain funding to cover tuition fees and living expenses. The applicant should have, or expect to gain at least an upper second class degree, or equivalent overseas qualification, in a relevant subject

How good is research at University of Sheffield in Biological Sciences?

Research output data provided by the Research Excellence Framework (REF)

Click here to see the results for all UK universities

Where will I study?