At the Institute for Virology and Immunology of the University of Würzburg, Germany, there is a
vacant to be filled as soon as possible. It is a position funded by the DFG research project „Deciphering pro- and antiviral factors for CMV infection by heterogeneity sequencing “. The position is currently temporary for one year (with the possibility for an extension for 2-4 more years). The salary will be according to TV-L.
A substantial limitation of single cell RNA sequencing was that each cell could only be analyzed once. In a recent paper published in Nature we have demonstrated that this can be circumvented by metabolic RNA labeling. This experimental trick now provides exciting opportunities for novel analysis approaches. In this project, we will test and establish a method called “Heterogeneity sequencing”. For that we will exploit the natural heterogeneity of gene expression in single cells to discover pro- and anti-viral factors. Predicted factors will be validated in close collaboration with our virological partners. All the necessary single cell data are already available.
The following tasks are involved in the vacant position:
• Extending and implementing the fundamental statistical methods for the analysis of the single cell metabolic labeling data (Java)
• Developing the statistical model for „Heterogeneity sequencing“
• Implementing the methods in form of an R package
• Analysis of single cell data from virus infected cells and prediction of pro- and antiviral factors
• Close interaction with our (virological) cooperation partners
For these tasks, the candidate needs to fulfill the following requirements:
• a completed university diploma or master studies in bioinformatics, informatics, statistics or similar studies
• experience in programming in Java and R
• knowledge of Unix/Linux systems
• basic knowledge of statistical methods
• experience in handling big biological data
• ability to work in a team and good communication skills
• willingness to work scientifically and independently
The University of Würzburg aims to increase the percentage of women and therefore we explicitly ask female applicants to send us their applications. In case of equal qualification, we will employ preferably disabled applicants.
If this versatile and responsible position poses a personal challenge to you, we look forward to receiving your application including a cover letter (describing why you are the right person for the position), your CV, two references, and all relevant certificates (as one PDF file) per email until April 24th, 2020. Please send it to:
Prof. Dr. Florian Erhard
Institute for Virology and Immunology
University of Würzburg
Versbacher Str. 7
+49 931/31-86523 [email protected]