About the Project
CSEM is a private research, technology and innovation center specializing in microtechnology, microelectronics, system engineering and renewable energy systems. It offers its customers and industry partners custom-made innovative solutions. Our strength is the excellence of our people.
The Laser and Quantum Tech group at CSEM, in collaboration with the Advanced NEMS Laboratory at EPFL is offering a
PHD POSITION ON HIGHLY-NONLINEAR INTEGRATED OPTICS
Over the last couple of years, Photonic Integrated Circuits (PICs) have started to revolutionize nonlinear optics. PICs can have much higher nonlinearities, very low optical losses and can be adjusted precisely in their shape and structure using microfabrication techniques. The work of this PhD thesis is situated right at this intersection of PICs and highly-nonlinear optics with a strong link to applications in astronomy. The work is part of a Swiss-centered research project with strong German involvement. Beside CSEM and EPFL it includes the University of Geneva as well as DESY in Hamburg, Germany. The overall goal of the research project, of which this PhD thesis will be a vital part, is to advance the astronomical observation capabilities for exoplanetology and fundamental cosmology using novel approaches in nonlinear integrated photonics.
Your missionIn this project you will be responsible for the realization of new designs of highly-nonlinear PICs using micro- and nanofabrication techniques in the cutting-edge cleanroom facilities at EPFL and CSEM. Once these PICs are fabricated, you will characterize and test them in the optics and metrology labs at CSEM. When the required performance is met, you will contribute to realize demonstrations of the PICs for astronomy. All along you will be involved in discussions on many different topics around the project at CSEM and EPFL as well as in the nonlinear PIC community. The PhD position will be based at CSEM in Neuchâtel,. The microfabrication and laboratory work will be divided between EPFL and CSEM.
Your profile▪ Master’s degree in Physics, Photonics, Optics, Microengineering or related fields
▪ Hands-on experimental background or a strong urge to obtain this
▪ Motivation to work in the cleanroom for microfabrication, experience in microfabrication techniques being an advantage
▪ Basic coding capabilities for data acquisition and analysis, preferentially in Python
▪ Strong analytical skills, drive to try different routes to realize unconventional ideas, proactive problem solving
▪ Enthusiasm for learning new concepts and working in teams
▪ Good communication skills (written and spoken English), French and German being a plus.
We offerCSEM is a multidisciplinary, multicultural and equal opportunity employer with an employee-driven culture.
As a PhD student in this project we offer you:
▪ Opportunities to work in a great research environment
▪ A motivated and highly skilled team of internationally known scientists
▪ Very well-equipped research environment in labs and cleanrooms
▪ Opportunities to present your work at international conferences
▪ Fully funded PhD position at CSEM with full affiliation with EPFL.
We look forward to receiving your complete application file via our job page https://www.csem.ch/Page.aspx?pid=47528&jobid=117803
Why not add a message here
Based on your current searches we recommend the following search filters.
Based on your current search criteria we thought you might be interested in these.