At the Institute for Virology and Immunology of the University of Wuerzburg, Germany there is a
vacant to be filled at the next possible timepoint. It is a position within the EU-funded research project „Herpesvirus effectors of RNA synthesis, processing, export and stability (HERPES)“.
The position is currently temporary for one year (with the possibility for an extention for 2-4 more years) The salary will be according to TV-L, 100%.
Herpesviruses cause a broad spectrum of diseases ranging from the common cold sores to cancer. These viruses use different mechanisms to reprogram their host cells and escape the immune system. We employ a systems biology approach to study these mechanisms and to quantitatively measure the different parameters on a molecular level. The analysis and interpretation of the resulting big data requires new computational and statistical methods.
The following tasks are involved in the vacant position:
• development of new computational and statistical methods
• implementation of „software pipelines“
• characterization and comparison of mechanisms of herpesvirus-host interactions
• integrative analysis and interpretation
For these tasks, the candidate needs to fulfill the following requirements:
• a completed university diploma or master studies in bioinformatics, informatics, statistics, biology, or similar studies
• experience in programming (Java, R)
• knowledge of Unix/Linux systems
• basic knowledge of statistical methods
• experience in handling big biological data
• ability to work in a team and good communication skills
• willingness to work scientifically and independently
The University of Würzburg aims to increase the percentage of women and therefore we explicitly ask female applicants to send us their applications. In case of equal qualification we will employ preferably disabled applicants.
If this versatile and responsible position poses a personal challenge to you, we look forward to receiving your application (preferably as one PDF file) per email or post until March 1st 2019, indicating two references. Please send it to:
Prof. Dr. Florian Erhard
Institute for Virology and Immunology
University of Wuerzburg
Versbacher Str. 7
+49 931/31-86523 [email protected]
We kindly ask you to only send us copies (no originals) which we will not return to you due to cost efficiency reasons. In case you attach a return envelope with yo u address and stamps, we will send the application documents back to you after three months, otherwise we will shreder the applications after three months time.