About the Project
DESY, with its 2700 employees at its two locations in Hamburg and Zeuthen, is one of the world's leading research centres. Its research focuses on decoding the structure and function of matter, from the smallest particles of the universe to the building blocks of life. In this way, DESY contributes to solving the major questions and urgent challenges facing science, society and industry. With its ultramodern research infrastructure, its interdisciplinary research platforms and its international networks, DESY offers a highly attractive working environment in the fields of science, technology and administration as well as for the education of highly qualified young scientists.
The newly established Helmholtz Young Investigator Research Group on Ultrafast Microphotonics (https:// ump.cfel.de/) is seeking highly motivated curiosity-driven team members to explore the physics and applications of ultrafast and nonlinear microphotonic systems:
The goal of this PhD project is to demonstrate novel microphotonic light sources and systems in groundbreaking cross-disciplinary applications such as detection of habitable exo-planets, bio-sensing or accelerator science.
We offer excellent working conditions, access to world-class research facilities, and exciting research topics in a fast-paced field. The interdisciplinary research campus provides a strong research community and the city of Hamburg offers a high quality of living. The PhD degree will be awarded by the University of Hamburg, which through its interdisciplinary graduate schools creates outstanding training and networking opportunities.
- Explore novel microphotonic systems for optical precision spectroscopy and ultra-fast sensing in crossdisciplinary applications such as habitable exo-planet detection, ultrafast bio-sensing and next-generation accelerator technology
- Develop ultrafast and nonlinear microphotonic systems in all aspects from conceptualization to demonstration
- Actively drive your research project in a collaborative team setting and communicate results in publications and at international conferences
- Excellent Master's degree in physics, photonics, optics, electrical-engineering or equivalent
- Curiosity, creativity and a high level of motivation for groundbreaking research
- Experimental or theoretical background in photonics, microfabrication, nonlinear optics, ultrafast lasers and frequency combs is a plus
- Strong interest in both experimental lab work and numeric simulations
- Good organization and communication skills
Please arrange for two letters of reference to be sent to the DESY human resource department by using our online tool: Additional application documents.
The position is limited to 3 years.
Salary and benefits are commensurate with those of public service organisations in Germany. Classification is based upon qualifications and assigned duties. Persons with disabilities will be given preference to other equally qualified applicants. DESY operates flexible work schemes. DESY is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer and encourages applications from women.
We are looking forward to your application via our application system: www.desy.de/onlineapplication
Deutsches Elektronen-Synchrotron DESY
Human Resources Department | Code: FSDO006/2021
Notkestraße 85 | 22607 Hamburg Germany
Phone: +49 40 8998-3392
Deadline for applications: Until March, 20 2021 or until the position is filled.
Based on your current searches we recommend the following search filters.
Based on your current search criteria we thought you might be interested in these.