To strengthen our team in the division "Chemical and Optical Sensing" in Berlin-Adlershof, starting 01.12.2022, we are looking for a PhD student.
The Bundesanstalt für Materialforschung und ‑prüfung (BAM) is a materials research organization in Germany. Our mission is to ensure safety in technology and chemistry. We perform research and testing in materials science, materials engineering and chemistry to improve the safety of products and processes. At BAM we do research that matters.
We are looking for talented people to join us.
Your responsibilities include:
- Development of a biosensor for the detection of explosives in the air with mobile devices
- Design and realization of a system for gas-phase sampling
- Development of fluidics handling and fluorescence readout systems, including real-time analysis of the data
- Design, construction, and characterization of the immuno-optical sensor
- Testing of the system in real-world scenarios
- Documentation and publication of the results in reports and scientific publications
- Presentation of the results at national and international conferences
- University degree (Master/Diploma) with very good grades in chemistry, preferably physical chemistry, instrumental analytics, or a related specialization.
- Comprehensive knowledge and significant experience in experimental physical chemistry and instrumental analytical chemistry, particularly with optical methods
- Knowledge in analytical chemistry, optical spectroscopy, and programming
- Interest in modular device integration is a plus
- Good ability in scientific writing and in giving presentations in front of an audience
- Excellent command of the English language in writing and presentation is a prerequisite, and basic knowledge of German is a plus
- High degree of motivation and creativity as well as a profound commitment to responsible and autonomous research in an interdisciplinary scientific environment
- Good communication and information behaviour, goal-oriented and structured way of working, initiative/commitment and ability to make decisions, ability to work in a team and willingness to cooperate
- Interdisciplinary research at the interface of politics, economics and society
- Work in national and international networks with universities, research institutes and industrial companies
- Outstanding facilities and infrastructure
- Flexible working hours and mobile working
- Excellent supervision and support are granted
- Attendance of international conferences is afforded
We welcome applications via the online application form by 28.10.2022. Alternatively, you can also send your application by post, quoting the reference number 239/22-1.9 to:
Bundesanstalt für Materialforschung und ‑prüfung (BAM)
Referat Z.3 – Personal
Unter den Eichen 87
Dr. Rurack will be glad to answer any specific questions you may have. Please get in touch via the telephone number +49 30 8104‑1190 and/or by email to [Email Address Removed].
BAM pursues the goal of professional equality between women and men. We therefore particularly welcome applications from women. In addition, BAM supports the integration of severely disabled persons and therefore especially welcomes their applications. With regard to the fulfilment of the job advertisement requirements, the application documents are examined individually. Recognised severely disabled persons will be given preferential consideration if they are equally suitable.
The advertised position requires a low level of physical aptitude.