To strengthen our team in the division 7.5 "Technical Properties of Polymeric Materials” in Berlin-Steglitz, starting 01.12.2022, we are looking for a
PhD student (m/f/d) in the field of Polymer Science or comparable
Salary group 13 TVöD
Temporary contract for 3 years
Full-time / suitable as part-time employment
The Bundesanstalt für Materialforschung und ‑prüfung (BAM) is a materials research organization in Germany. Our mission is to ensure safety in technology and chemistry. We perform research and testing in materials science, materials engineering and chemistry to improve the safety of products and processes. At BAM we do research that matters. Our work covers a broad array of topics in the focus areas of energy, infrastructure, environment, materials, and analytical sciences.
We are looking for talented people to join us.
Your responsibilities include:
Research in the field "Sustainable Flame Retardant Polycarbonate: Material Innovation as Game Changer":
- Application-oriented research in the field of sustainable, flame retarded biopolymers
- Investigation of pyrolysis using thermal analysis
- Investigation of flammability and fire behaviour
- Use of additional methods, such as electron microscopy or infrared spectroscopy
- Elucidation of the flame retardant mechanisms and modes of action
- Documenting, presenting and publishing the results
- Successfully completed university degree (master/diploma) in the field of Polymer Science or comparable
- Experience with biopolymers
- Experience with flame retardancy or fire testing
- Interested in applied and practical research within the frame of a challenging, interdisciplinary and scientific task
- Good knowledge of English and German (written and spoken)
- Good communication and information behaviour as well as goal-oriented and structured way of working
- Ability to work in a team/willingness to cooperate, flexibility and initiative/commitment
- Interdisciplinary research at the interface of politics, economics and society
- Work in national and international networks with universities, research institutes and industrial companies
- Outstanding facilities and infrastructure
- Flexible working hours and mobile working
We welcome applications via the online application form by 20.09.2022. Alternatively, you can also send your application by post, quoting the reference number 217/22-7.5 to:
Bundesanstalt für Materialforschung und ‑prüfung (BAM)
Referat Z.3 – Personal
Unter den Eichen 87
Prof. Dr. Schartel will be glad to answer any specific questions you may have. Please get in touch via the telephone number +49 30 8104-1021 and/or by email to [Email Address Removed].
BAM pursues the goal of professional equality between women and men. We therefore particularly welcome applications from women. In addition, BAM supports the integration of severely disabled persons and therefore especially welcomes their applications. With regard to the fulfilment of the job advertisement requirements, the application documents are examined individually. Recognised severely disabled persons will be given preferential consideration if they are equally suitable.
The advertised position requires a low level of physical aptitude.
BAM actively supports the compatibility of work and family and has been certified as a family- and life-phase-conscious employer by the "audit berufundfamilie" since 2015.