Reference code: 50073092_4 – 2021/WP 9
Commencement date: as soon as possible
Work location: Hamburg
Application deadline: January 2nd, 2022
The Helmholtz-Zentrum Hereon conducts cutting-edge international research for a changing world: Around 1,100 employees contribute to the tackling of climate change, the sustainable use of the world's coastal systems and the resource-compatible enhancement of the quality of life. From fundamental research to practical applications, the interdisciplinary research spectrum covers a unique range.
Institute of Materials Physics
The Institute of Materials Physics operates instruments on large-scale equipment for structural investigations of materials and works on the development and characterization of novel lightweight materials for high-temperature applications, for example in aircraft turbines and automotive engines. Hereon has a unique infrastructure for complementary materials research with photons and neutrons.
Helmholtz-Zentrum Hereon maintains a permanent outstation at DESY in Hamburg in order to provide synchrotron radiation to our users from academia and industry for the purpose of materials science. At the world’s largest synchrotron radiation source PETRA III we jointly operate imaging beamlines (P05 IBL, P07 HEMS) for X-ray computed tomography (CT).
During tomography experiments large amounts of 3D and 4D imaging data are acquired. In addition to conventional attenuation contrast tomography, phase contrast imaging techniques are employed in order to enhance the signal intensity and to visualize soft tissues. In situ / operando / in vivo experiments impose further restrictions on the scan times or the X-ray dose and therefore require a fine tuning of experimental parameters. By means of a digital experiment, we aim to optimize these parameters specifically for the respective setup and the respective sample as well as for the subsequent tasks of data reconstruction and analysis.
The position is initially limited to three years.
Equality of opportunity is an important part of our personnel policy. We would therefore strongly encourage qualified women to apply for the position.
- simulation of X-ray tomography experiments using attenuation-, propagation- or grating-based phase contrast at a synchrotron radiation source
- simulation-driven optimization of tomography experiments
- participation in tomography experiments (beamtimes) at our PETRA III beamlines
- close collaboration with colleagues and beamline scientists
- publish and present scientific results at international conferences and workshops
- excellent diploma or master’s degree in physics, mathematics, computer science or equivalent
- experience with simulations
- experience in X-ray tomography, phase contrast imaging, or image processing
- proficient in a relevant programming language (e.g. Python, Matlab, C/C++, CUDA)
- team player with good communication skills
- motivation to work in an interdisciplinary and international team
- excellent knowledge of English or German
Qualifications considered assets:
- experience in scientific computing (high performance computing, parallel or distributed data processing)
- experience in software development
- experience with simulation frameworks (syris, FEniCS, ComSol, etc.)
- experience with experiments at a synchrotron-radiation source
- knowledge of deep learning
- good communication skills in German
Informal enquiries can be directed to: Dr. Julian Moosmann, [Email Address Removed]
We offer you
- multinational work environment with ca. 1,100 colleagues from more than 50 nations
- extensive options of vocational training (i. a. expert seminars, language courses or leadership seminars)
- flexible working hours and various models to ensure the compatibility of family and career
- excellent infrastructure, including a scientific in-house library as well as modern work spaces
- remuneration according to the standards of the collective wage agreement TV-AVH including further social benefits
- free employee advice - Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- childcare offers
- Welcome Office, guest accommodation
Then we are looking forward to receiving your comprehensive application documents including a short and concise motivation letter (max. 1 page), a CV, a letter of recommendation, copies/transcripts of certificates including grades, a list of publications, a proof of your English skills (TOEFL, IELTS or equivalent), and a (link to) pdf file of your master thesis. The application must not exceed 10 MB.
Reference number: 2021/WP 9
Severely disabled persons and those equaling severely disabled persons who are equally suitable for the position will be considered preferentially within the framework of legal requirements.