About the Project
Applications are invited for a PhD position funded by the Science Foundation Ireland VistaMilk “Dairy by Design” Research Centre. VistaMilk is a multi-disciplinary Research Centre that focuses on Agri. Tech, bringing together the disciplines of ICT and Agriculture. The research centre consists of TSSG-Waterford Institute of Technology, Tyndall National Institute, INSIGHT research centre for data analytics, and Teagasc. The candidate are expected to be highly self-motivated, and willing to work in future emerging topics in Agri. Tech.
Position: Edge-based image analysis for Unmanned Arial Vehicle (UAV) applications in Smart Farming.
Description: It is widely recognised that combination of image analysis and UAV technologies has a significant potential for Smart Farming. On one hand, UAV technology is capable to access a wide range of challenging areas of the farm while limiting interruption to the farm’s operation. On the other hand, the ever-growing computational capacity of UAV devices allows them to perform a wide range image processing tasks stretching from the flight navigation to soil/pasture analysis. However, as the UAV resources remain limited, onboard intelligence needs to strike a delicate balance between precision and resource-consumption. The objective of this PhD is to investigate possible methods of how such a balance can be established and further managed. The student is expected to model the performance of various image-processing algorithms onboard an UAV, as well as simulation operation of a UAV placed in a farming environment.
The PhD project will be for 4 years and will cover fees in addition to a personal stipend (and research expenses).
• Bsc in Engineering in Electrical and Electronics (specializing in communication/computer engineering), or Computer Science.
• MSc degree in Engineering in Electrical and Electronics (specializing in communication/computer engineering), or Computer Science (specializing in data mining/artificial intelligence).
Knowledge & Experience
• Strong mathematical modelling skills in communication engineering (in particular strong background in wireless communication engineering).
• Strong interpersonal and communications skills.
• Good programming skills with experience in MATLAB, python programming skills, or other tools used for modelling.
• Experience in mathematical modelling and analysis of systems.
• Expertise in machine learning.
• Familiarity with concepts of Artificial Intelligence and/or Compute Vision.
• Experience with some of the Datamining or AI Frameworks: skykitlearn, tensorflow, pytorch.
• Experience with embedded programming.
Skills & Competencies
• Applicants whose first language is not English must submit evidence of competency in English, please see WIT’s English Language Requirements for details.
• Highly motivated, demonstrate initiative and ability to work within multi-disciplinary project team to achieve results
• Have an academic record of excellence and good writing skills.
• Paper Publications/ Journal writing and submission experience.
• Full list of publications, if any.
For any informal queries, please contact Jane Mahony at email: [Email Address Removed]
For queries relating to the application and admission process please contact the Postgraduate Admissions Office via email [Email Address Removed] or telephone +353 (0)51 302883.
Download the Research Postgraduate Application Form and return completed applications to [Email Address Removed], quoting WD_2020_15 in the email subject line. Please note that paper submissions will not be accepted
Please note that paper submissions will not be accepted.
Stipend: €18,500 per annum for 4 years
Fees: €4,500 per annum for 4 years
Based on your current searches we recommend the following search filters.
Based on your current search criteria we thought you might be interested in these.