Location: Stoke campus
Salary: £15,009 per annum
Tenure: Fixed term for 4 years
Closing Date: Sunday 22 March 2020
An exciting opportunity to study for a fully funded doctorate whilst gaining valuable teaching experience.
PhD Studentships at Staffordshire University are designed with a very strong focus on the development of those holding a studentship as a researcher, a teacher in Higher education, and as an academic.
Serious and organised crime is estimated to cost the United Kingdom at least £37 billion each year (UK Parliament, 2019) and the estimated scale of organised acquisitive crime is £680 million (Home Office, 2019). However, it can be argued that the true scale of serious and organised acquisitive crime is unknown. Without a standardised definition of serious and organised acquisitive crime nor a consistent reporting mechanism, there have been difficulties in assessing the demand associated with this crime on Police services.
This project intends to enhance the national understanding of serious and organised acquisitive crime and increase the police service’s capability for assessing the demand. The research will involve working closely with police forces and utilising police data to provide insight to some of the definitional problems surrounding the topic, assess the current demand caused by this type of crime to police forces and make suggestions for the assessment of future demand for serious and organised acquisitive crime.
You will have a Masters’ degree in a relevant subject. You should also have a passion for pursing original research along with a desire to develop your teaching ability by supporting an experienced and dynamic undergraduate course team.
Highly motivated, resilient and with the determination to succeed, you will be committed to undertaking a PhD and possess strong written and oral communication skills along with excellent organisational skills.
About the role
Doctoral researchers holding a studentship hold a unique position in the University, being both registered students and carrying out teaching/teaching support duties.
You will be expected to:
• Complete a programme of research training
• Undertake continuing researcher development
• Complete a programme of training in teaching in Higher education
• Complete a PhD programme of research under the guidance of an appointed supervisory team (please see an outline of the project below)
• Undertake teaching and teaching support duties as directed by the Head of Department
• Enhance the research culture of the department by participating in development activities including publication and presenting at conferences
From the moment you join us, you will have the opportunity to enhance your skills. In addition to having the opportunity to enrol on our Postgraduate Certificate in Higher and Professional Education (PgCHPE) to support your professional development, we offer a range of specialist development sessions.
The studentship includes:
• A stipend of £15,009 per annum for four years
• A full fee waiver of research degree tuition fees worth £4,327 per annum (UK/EU/Channel Islands) and £12,500 (international non-EU) for three years
• A full fee waiver of the Postgraduate Certificate in Higher and Professional Education (PgCHPE) tuition fee worth £3,400 per annum for 18 months
How to apply
Please submit your applications to [email protected]
by the deadline, with the following documents.
• Your CV
• A PhD research proposal based on the project description above. Your proposal should not exceed 2 pages
• Covering letter to say why you want this position, to describe any teaching experience you may have, and to detail any academic and non-academic experience we should consider.
At the University we celebrate diversity and promote equality and inclusion amongst our staff and students. As such, we welcome applications from all, regardless of personal characteristics or background. We particularly welcome applications from Women and Black and Asian Minority Ethnic candidates as they are under-represented within the University at a senior level.
To apply, you will be required to complete an online application form and submit a copy of your CV quoting the relevant reference number for the role you are applying for.
Please note: All correspondence at each stage of the process for employment within Staffordshire University will be sent to you via the email address you applied from, please ensure you check your emails regularly. Please check your junk / spam email folders for any further communication from us.