The research group of Matthieu Domenech de Cellès at the Max Planck Institute for Infection Biology in Berlin is looking to recruit an outstanding student for a project starting in 2020.
Unraveling the seasonal epidemiology of invasive disease-causing bacteria: applications to Streptococcus pneumoniae and Neisseria meningitidis
Seasonality is an intriguing aspect of many infectious diseases. These include invasive diseases caused by S. pneumoniae (Sp) and N. meningitidis (Nm), two bacteria that cause substantial mortality worldwide. The incidence of Sp and Nm invasive diseases is markedly seasonal in climatically diverse locations, but the underlying mechanisms remain poorly understood. Elucidating those mechanisms is essential to better understand the infection biology of Sp and Nm and to design control strategies.
The PhD project will aim to analyse the seasonality of Sp and Nm, building on detailed epidemiological data. The successful applicant will develop mathematical, population-based models of disease transmission to systematically test different hypotheses about Sp and Nm seasonality.
- outstanding research and training opportunities
- an excellent scientific network
- a structured graduate school program – students will be registered with the prestigious International Max Planck Research School for Infectious Diseases and Immunology (IMPRS-IDI)
- a stimulating international and multi-disciplinary research environment on a thriving campus in the heart of Berlin
We are looking for:
- creative and highly motivated Ph.D. students of all nationalities who are strongly committed to research
- applicants must have an excellent M.Sc. or equivalent degree with a background in a quantitative discipline (e.g. mathematics, statistics, physics) and a keen interest in biology, epidemiology, and public health
- candidates with experience in programming (in particular R) and with mathematic and statistical modeling will be strongly considered
- applicants with a background in biology or medicine may also apply if they can demonstrate significant experience with quantitative approaches
Interested in joining us?
To apply, please email a cover letter, complete CV and name of at least 2 references to [email protected]
until December 15th 2019.