Applications are invited for a PhD position funded by the South East Regional Development (SERD) Scholarship, WIT. The candidate is expected to be highly self-motivated, and willing to work in future emerging topics in Quantum Technology.
Position: Receiver and Detection Systems for Quantum Communication in Satellite Networks
Description: Cubesats have the potential to deliver a global quantum network at a fraction of the cost and size of the Micius satellite. The main aim of this research is to develop the technology necessary to achieve extremely high pointing accuracy and maximize receiver efficiency for quantum communication on a network of LEO satellites. However, the extremely small cubesats must house all of the technology for the electrical power system, communications, attitude determination and control systems and on-board computer along with quantum source and transmission optics. The PhD candidate will identify the most promising technologies to realize large-scale quantum receivers and detectors for a LEO satellite network. They will develop receivers and detection protocols for intersatellite, ground-to-satellite and satellite-to-ground communication.
• First- or second-class honours degree in physics, computer science, engineering or related relevant
• MSc degree or equivalent postgraduate qualification in physics, computer science, engineering or
related relevant discipline.
Knowledge & Experience
• Strong laboratory skills in quantum technologies including optical systems and lasers.
• Strong background in satellite/quantum communication technologies.
• Strong skills in simulation software.
• Highly analytical.
• Experience in optical system design and simulation.
• Expertise in data analysis.
• Familiarity with miniaturization of optical systems.
• Demonstrated capability in the delivery of research projects at undergraduate or postgraduate level.
Skills & Competencies
• Applicants whose first language is not English must submit evidence of competency in English,
please see WIT’s English Language Requirements for details.
• Highly motivated, demonstrate initiative and ability to work within multi-disciplinary project team to
• Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
• Good academic record of excellence and writing skills.
• Prior experience working with/in industry, scientific paper and report writing.
Download the Research Postgraduate Application Form and return completed applications to [Email Address Removed], quoting
WD (SERD)_2020_55_3_WSCH in the email subject line. Please note that paper submissions will not be accepted